Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kab121170_gw

neighbor with invasive plants

kab121170
19 years ago

My neighbor isn't interested in gardening, but she does have Bishop's weed and climbing nightshade on her side of the fence that are making their way into my garden. I have to weed them out several times a week. I just moved in and we have a good relationship so far. She's a nice lady. I'm not sure what to do. I would like to offer to replace the nightshade with clematis (or a noninvasive vine of her choice) and the Bishop's weed with lamium (or other less aggressive groundcover) at my expense. Would my offer be out of line?

Katie-who wants to get along well with her neighbors but is tired of having to beat back Bishop's weed

Comments (15)

• Roberta_z5
    19 years ago

Even if you replaced those, the Bishop's Weed especially is very agressive and with out Rounding Up her whole yard, I don't know how effective just pulling it out would be. With the nightshade vine, I would use Round Up on any of it that comes into your yard and let her know it is very toxic to children and pets.

• leaveswave
    19 years ago

The nightshade is poisonous, you can ask her if she's aware of that. Could be a bit troublesome if a child wandered by and ate some of the berries.

It /probably/ wouldn't hurt to explain to her the extra maintenance it causes you, see how she responds, maybe offer to go shopping with her to find something more suitable to the spot. My personal opinion is not to offer to pay for it. She might think you sound too desperate and back off, she won't feel as much a sense of ownership, and if she doesn't take care of them you will likely feel resentful.

I don't hesitate to spray noxious weeds growing on my fence from the neighbors side. (If the fence is hers and nightshade is considered a noxious weed in your city, you can alert the proper dept and let them handle it.) I s'pose your neighbor could have a fit, but legally they can't really be much more than a minor nuisance--mind you we're not talking about killing a full-grown tree here. And how "good" a neighbor can they be anyway if they're letting that stuff grow in the first place (once they're made aware of all sides of the issue, that is)?

• hija_de_lamadre
    19 years ago

I have 4 types of Nightshade and only some of them are harmful and most are not deadly. Including the one that is the climber and most common in MY yard. My mother loves the stuff and before I got "into" gardening I didn't realize what it was. It WAS a favorite of my now 2 year olds to sneak. She thought it was like the other berries that were in the "other" (fruit and veggie) yard.
    If it is growing in your yard it may be best to spray or pull. She may take the "help" a way to imply she not as good at keeping her lawn. It may be brought up some time in conversation, but I would avoid going over or just bringing it up.
    JMO

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    19 years ago

I have a neighbor who has ditch lilies along the boundary line. I pounded in a line of those plastic edging pieces with the "teeth" at the bottom. In some places they're called "Chompers". They really help to keep out those lilies.

• kab121170
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I was talking with my neighbor yesterday and admiring all her lovely porch ferns. (Thanks for the suggestion for getting her into a garden conversation) She commented that she knew nothing about gardening but was interested in learning. The porch ferns are her first foray into gardening. I offered to help her and told her that I would divide some perennials for her in the spring. (Maybe we can start with the small bishop's weed bed in the spring). Until then, I will try the chopper edgers (What a great idea!).

I mentioned that she had some climbing nightshade and that it was poisonous. I offered to pull it out for her and she happily agreed.

Maybe I'll have a new gardening buddy!!!

Thanks for your advice.

Katie

• pebbles396
    19 years ago

Katie - good luck and have patinece. I have found that my queen ann's lace was encroaching on her yard. I'm just beginning to learn, but have desire.

Sounds like you're doing a great job of building a relationship.

• froggy
    19 years ago

bring her a cherry pie. homebaked ofcourse.

then whilst u both are eating it, bring up the facts.

its very hard to get into an argument (and stay mad) if someone has homemade u a cherry pie and u are now eating it.

lastly, i love ur idea of doing the work and at ur own cost. fact is, she doesnt have a problem with it and u do. so its kinda up to u to solve that problem. my guess is that within no time, she will help and it wont be all to ur cost.

froggy

• kab121170
    Original Author
    19 years ago

What a great idea, especially considering that I like to bake.

• froggy
    19 years ago

change of plan.

bake 2 homemade cherry pies. one goes to the neighbor and one goes to the generator of the idea.

and because that is me, ill be glad to accept it.

froggy

• anya_101
    19 years ago

Glad to hear! Sounds like your off to a great start : )
    Best of luck!

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

its nice to hear of a neighbor situation that sounds like it will have a happy ending ...

• loveterrariums
    19 years ago

see i kno wthis isnt the best way to do things ....but my mother lives next store and she thinks some plants are the lovelist things so she went right ahead and planted them in my yard while i was away........lets just say those plants didnt stay there very long...>

• mscratch
    19 years ago

It's poke weed here! Neighbor will not keep her fence row cleared out and those things get 6 foot tall and the birds get them and guess who has a yard full of them? When I mow along the fence line, I grab the ones leaning over our property and bend them back to hers..this is one case where asking her to control them wont work. The old dead stalks look horrible.

• ademink
    19 years ago

My neighbors on BOTH sides have a GREAT crop of poison ivy that keeps creeping it's lovely head through my fence. I have one vine that I missed that's now about 3/4" in diameter. Yikes! Not sure what to do w/ it at this point since looking at it makes me start to itch. hehe

Fortunely, they're both wonderful neighbors and one side has *really* old gorgeous weigela, quince, bridal wreath spirea and a MASS of forsythia bushes that are breathtaking in the Spring. I'll take their poison ivy for the view when the snow melts away. :)

PS Anyone need some poison ivy starts? LOL

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living