Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to plant a new lawn!!!!

Posted by Jennifer1 z6 MO (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 05 at 12:22

I have decided to dig up all my Zoysia in the front yard. I have given up on it! I want to plant grass seed this fall in its place. Any advice very appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to plant a new lawn!!!!

You will need to kill out the zoysia or it will likely reappear in spots from any left behind rhizomes. Roundup will do the job, however you need to do it while it is still green. About a week later, remove or till the zoysia into the soil. Apply a starter fertilizer and a blend of turf type fescue (not K-31) at a seeding rate of 15 lbs. per 1000 s.f. and lightly till in shallow (1" max.) or hand rake to slightly cover the seed.
Your local nursery or farm center can advise you on TTF varieties and blends for sun/shaded, traffic areas, drought tolerence etc.
You may want to post on the "Lawn Forum" as there are some knowledgeable people there.

o
I second the Lawn Forum

If you haven't been there yet, I recommend it too. There's tons of great information and questions are usually answered quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here