Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadowbrite

Passiflora in Chicago outdoors?

meadowbrite
18 years ago

Guys, I just found out about this wild passion fruit plant Passiflora incarnata, which grows wildly in Illinois. I have also heard that my friend's neighboor has it growing year after year.

Does any of you have success with any passiflora in zone 5? I would love to hear your stories. I want one badly ;-) How do I propagate it, from seed, cuttings?

Thanks a million.

Comments (6)

• plantlust
    18 years ago

2 examples for you, Meadowbrite.
    Elmhurst and Aurora IL. Elmhurst, since about 1970 something and Aurora, for the last 2 years.

Try and get a root sprout (once established it will send up sprouts/suckers in other areas) and baby the heck out of it for about a year. I would suggest planting it against a south or west wall. In Aurora it's on the southside of a house (concrete block basement) next to a concrete driveway. In Elmhurst, it's against both west and east brick walls. P. incarnata needs HEAT before it even THINKS about sprouting (kindof like milkweed), so be patient.

• doniki
    18 years ago

It's been fine here in Ohio for two years- though that isn't much of a test of hardiness... Even with ample heat, it is one of the last things to emerge in spring, thus it is often called "Maypop." It can be VERY invasive though. It grows very fast and can wrap itself around anything in the area, so give it some room. I gave it a try a couple of years ago after reading in a garden magazine (don't know which one) of a woman who has been growing it for years in zone 4 Iowa. A good layer of mulch is probably a good idea just to be safe.

• Stevi_K
    18 years ago

Where in Aurora is this growing? I would love to see it.

Stevi

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

I once bought an alleged, hardy Passionvine at Gethsemene Gardens..was too chicken to plant outdoors in winter. Kept it in its pot for 3 yrs..Every summer it bloomed and has small fruit..Then I decided to give in and plant outside..it died that winter..Now I don't know if this is the same Passionvine you mentioned..I hope not..
    I suggest heavy mulch in winter if anyone purchases it. BTW, the flowers were purple on my plant..Toni

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

One of my coworkers who is border line zone 4/5 has had one growing successfully for several years. He maintains that the key is to plant it smack against the foundation of the house so that the heat from the foundation wall warms it up early and mitigates the winter cold.

Not just near the foundation but tight against the foundation!

V.

• terryr
    18 years ago

I had one. Couldn't tell you which one, it was dug up at a friend of a friends house, over in Braidwood. I should have taken the hint. It was coming up in her yard everywhere. But I didn't and planted it anyway. I had mine on a chain link fence. No foundation anywhere near it. Lots of mulch. It faced south. It grew that first year and I never saw seed heads or fruit, but it had babies. Everywhere. I spent the next 5 years digging the things up, even resorting to round-up. In other words, IMHO, it's not a nicely behaved plant and I would never plant it again.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living