Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Common Lady's Mantle

Posted by nskadra z5 KC area (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 07 at 18:10

I've just received a suggestion to plan Common Lady's Mantle. Has anyone in the KC area experienced this herb? Is it invasive? Know any nurseries in the area that might carry it?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Common Lady's Mantle

Lady's Mantle is a very nice plant....commonly found at just about any nursery/garden center in the spring....

The morning dew looks especially nice on it's leaves....it is not invasive.

Mine gets morning and late evening sun....

o

Thanks. Well that's just my luck...waiting to plant in the fall. Hopefully I'll find something.

o

I always thought of it as a partial shade to shade plant. In one of the last Garden Gate magazine editions (I believe) there was a really attractive bed with Lady's Mantle, Roxanne geranium and Hidcote Lavender as a border in front of a larger rose bush and some ornamental alliums in between. Does Lady's Mantle take that much sunlight to grow it with geranium and Lavender? Does anybody have experience with it?

o

Lady Mantle is one tough plant for me. It grows well in morning shade and full to partial blistering afternoon sun.
It flanks my concrete patio on the NW side of my home.
Its planted in enriched soil and wants to flop as the infloresence gets long and heavy. I dont trim it, so have found baby Mantles growing whereever the flowers hit the soil. I dont mind a bit. Some just die and the rest I can move when they get big. Neat plant, but its chartreuse
color doesnt go with everything. Pondy

o

You know, pondwelr....Wisconsin's "full sun" and Missouri/Kansas's "full sun" are two different animals....

There are many plants designated for full sun which we can only grow with protection from the afternoon sun.

o

I have lady's mantle growing in a full sun bed, western exposure. It gets ratty by midsummer, and needs to be trimmed back, for a flush of new green foliage. It looks especially nice after it rains, the raindrops glisten on the fuzzy leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here