Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerbrackob

Why the Blazes Not?

flowerbrackob
12 years ago

I've been "by hand" with a butcher knife mind you...... edging/cutting/slicing, grass/sod away from

my flower beds so the tiller will fit for one thing, keeping the earth looking fresh & neat.

Plus I Don't Have To continue using the "by hand method".

It trully is starting to harm my wrist.

This yr. I have delicately-shallow-rooted mums planted.

I don't see why I can't use the sod pieces as mulch around the base of plants...... do any of you?

I've knocked off all the dirt & now have clumps of grass.

I thought I could dry it out and place it up and around almost any plant I have.

However.........Perhaps even the pieces will "re-root" themselves & I will then now have fresh grass in the beds this spring??????

Presently evr'y time I do this diggin' (& it's Most Often to make it look nice)

I bag it and pay a guy to haul it away for me. I'd save $300.00 per year if I could use those hunks!

Any comments about this possible idea are More Than Welcome & Appreciated. Anyone???????????????? Jaemy

Comments (4)

• linda_schreiber
    12 years ago

You're working way too hard at this, sir! I've been that befuddled-frustrated!!!

You have a bunch of questions/issues here. There are decent solutions for all of them, but I'll probably get them in the wrong order to make things coherent.... Just keep reading.

For starters, your idea about using sod pieces as mulch is not a good one. Don't do that! Yes, you will be planting grass in your flower beds. Moving on....

I'm starting from the top of your post, and working my way down.

"....edging/cutting/slicing, grass/sod away from
    my flower beds so the tiller will fit for one thing, keeping the earth looking fresh & neat. "

Put in a deep vertical edging of some sort around the flower beds, so that the grass growth into them is minimal if at all. It can be pretty much buried, so that it doesn't really show at the surface.

And why does a 'tiller' need to fit? If you want the earth looking fresh and neat, use a mulch there, and don't till. There are mulches that, after a few weeks and a couple of rains, no longer look like 'fake mulch' [ie red wood chips] but instead looks more like soil. No tilling, natural appearance, and all the other advantages of good mulch.

Now-then... You have to pay to have someone take away the bags of....?? Is there a very small area in your yard, at the back edge, or next to the garage, where you could put a 4-ft by 4-ft cold-compost pile? Doesn't need to be fancy. Doesn't need work or tending. Doesn't even need walls, but since you prefer neat, you probably will want at least wire-fence walls. Put your sod there. And don't bother to knock off the soil. And any other garden trimmings. And weeds [not in seed]. Etc.

No more paying for hauling away stuff that if valuable. After a few months, the bottom section will be good compost, and *that* will be good to put around the base of your plants in the garden!

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

I totally second the suggestion for a compost bin. Find a space somewhere someway. So many many uses for that great stuff.
    BB

• joandaugh
    12 years ago

I third the idea of a compost, or even an out of the way corner of your yard to put soft yard waste (grass, leaves without sticks, etc.) until it breaks down. I hate the idea of paying somebody to haul away your yard waste and then buying dirt at Home Depot! It happens to me at times because my compost is so slow. I think you could also chop up your waste and let it dry thoroughly on a sidewalk or patio a while. Then mix it in with your garden beds, as long as you know there are no weeds in it. Some people also do quick composting in a dark-colored garbage bag. I think you can find techniques in the GardenWeb forum somewhere.

• flowerbrackob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thnx Bunches & Heaps......................presently I have bags of leaves drying in the garage. I made sure I bagged them on sunny days and I lucked out with all
    of them being very dry after mulching with the mower and left to lay 'til next days sunshine to boot. I always hated the neighbor's Pine tree that blocks sun in the
    garden for a lot of species; that I end up moving.......................However, the needles make very good winter cover for me over the last 5 or so yrs. I find all of it easy to remove when spring rolls 'round as it's all soggy mounds.

Everyone's suggestions and ideas are More Than Appreciated; Once again my thanks, Jaemy
    ----- Original Message -----

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner