Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motria_gw

darn it - I don't know what color my dahlias are!

motria
17 years ago

I grew a few plants of dahlia "bishop's children" this summer. A couple of them have a lovely leaf and flower color - they are definitely "keepers". But a couple others have flower buds which may not get a chance to bloom, what with the arctic blast coming tonight. Darn it! I don't intend to dote over dahlia tubers (anti-fungal treatment, over-wintering) which may turn out to be yucky looking. Fingers crossed.. maybe they'll squeeze out a single bloom. ;-)

Meanwhile, out of a dozen helenium plants, they all bloomed and I know which ones I want to keep. Ditto the mexican hat.

Has time run out for you, too, on deciding whether to keep/pitch certain plants?

Comments (6)

• duluthinbloomz4
    17 years ago

Dahlias were a major disappointment this season - nice, clean, bushy foliage, but late buds that don't have a prayer of opening. Don't know if it was the heat we experienced in July (over 100 for a few days and high 90's for the next few weeks - which is virtually unheard of in Duluth) or the extreme drought we're still in the midst of. I treat dahlias as annuals anyway, buying the tubers on the cheap and not having the will to store them, etc. They did make a lovely green border, but a bloom would have been a real bonus. Nothing else seemed to suffer this year despite the unusual conditions. Lake Superior really does affect our weather - rain to the south and to the north, but nothing here. The dahlias will be one of the first things going into the compost pile. I love them and will try again next season...

• Missy, Traverse City, Mi Z5
    17 years ago

My dahlia's were phenomenal this year. Most of them have been blooming non-stop since late July or early August.

• led_zep_rules
    17 years ago

I planted 5 hunks of dahlias and only one is blooming so far. Another one is ready to bust open. I was told they were white but fortunately they have a pink blush which gives them some character. I find the flowers I do have to be very lovely and long lasting.

I don't understand why you wouldn't at least dig them up and stick them in the basement. If they wither up, fine, but how hard is it to do that? It isn't like gladiolas, which I get in bags of 15 and I have sworn to stop digging up, because there are so many and it is a pain in the butt. I just have a few dahlias so I will certainly dig them up. Will also dig up the stupid canna lilies. Have grown them for 2 summers now and still no flowers. If they don't bloom next year they are finding a new home. At least the leaves are interesting . . .

Marcia in WI

• motria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Duluth-in-Bloom - I know what you mean. I first grew dahlias last summer, during an exceptional drought. Out of 8 or 9 plants only one lived and bloomed.

Marcia - In theory, I could dig up and save all the tubers. I'll find out next year what color they are. But I want to know NOW!! Waahhh! ;-)

• ladylavender
    17 years ago

I don't mind digging up dahlias since I found an easy way to store them. Dig them up, wash and allow to dry for a couple of days. Wrap in saran wrap and leave in a cool place for the winter. haven't lost one since I started doing it this way. check this out

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/dahlia/msg0922180325976.html?2

mary

• motria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Mary - I tried the same method last year with great success. I also spray the tubers with fungicide.. just in case. I'm only going to dig up the tubers that I know I want to keep. Since we got a puppy in August I try to minimize my gardening time. More time for the dog park and doggie beach!

P.S. Here is the last dahlia that I was waiting for. It's a keeper!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm