Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House hunting for a beginner gardener

Posted by kelso87 central wisconsin (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 22:08

Just this year i have discovered my passion for gardening. Im going to be searching for my first home soon and want to know any pointers for house hunting with great gardening potential. any advice will be helpful because I dont know much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House hunting for a beginner gardener

Wow you really have caught "the gardening bug!" Personally, I prefer to start with "a clean slate." A house with existing landscaping that I want to change would be a lot more work. It's a lot easier to make a new bed where there is now grass than to dig out shrubs.

You'll probably also want to have houseplants and "save" annuals that are actually tender perennials, so south windows that aren't shaded or are only shaded during the summer by deciduous trees would be appealing in that regard.

I also like a yard with a less-visible spot for a compost pile. My Mom has a nice yard on a double lot but since it's on a corner, there's no place in the yard where we can hide a compost pile without building some type of fence. That's an ongoing discussion.

Shade vs. sun. As far north as you are, sunny spots would be very important to me. A lot with a ton of huge trees and mostly shade would severely limit your range of plants.

Other difficulties that would be easier to avoid then deal with: big walnut trees, properties that would have browsing deer, slopes are hard to garden, untended meadows or weedy areas nearby can cause a lot of extra weeding work and would have a lot of groundhogs.

Is that the kind of thing you were looking for?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here