Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mo_blueskys

Need help Id plant with red stem and berries

mo_blueskys
17 years ago

There is a plant that has come up on my neighbors side of the fence and has now spread on to my side. It has a thick red stem and berries that start out green but turn blackish (but resembles a blueberry). We have been killing it as it comes up on our side because we have a 3 year old and a puppy that I am scared might eat the berries. If anyone knows what this plant please let me know!!! I will try to post a few pictures of it tommorrow. Thanks!!!

Comments (4)

• anitamo
    17 years ago

Pics will definitely help. I'll check back.

• fennelgrl
    17 years ago

Could it be pokeberry?

• hortist
    17 years ago

Sounds like poke

{{gwi:1052561}}

Dont let it go to seed.

• elainebuglady
    17 years ago

Pokeweed: Phytolacca americana. Had one growing in my backyard a year ago. Cut it down. Now there's one outside my back fence. See "Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (and Not So Wild) Places" by Steve Brill & Evelyn Dean. Check out www.fcps.edu/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/poison_ivy.htm Try putting in pokeweed in place of poison_ivy. When I just did it the picture didn't come up, but it's a wonderful website to see "Relationships in Nature". If you type less than .../mpages/ and don't put anything after, you get the website, but "File not found."