Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtdaddy

2010 Garden

dirtdaddy
13 years ago

How did your 2010 garden turn out!

Here in Kansas the spring was cold and wet, and summer was hot and dry. Tomatoes did poor, peppers did really well! Pumkins withered, onions, squash, poor. Greens, herbs, did good!

Overall, 1-10, 2010 gets a 4.

As I put the garden to bed, I think of seeds, and next year! DD.

Comments (3)

• professorroush
    13 years ago

DirtDaddy, ditto for here in the Flint Hills!....I think I've still got oodles of peppers but the early spring stuff (onions, peas etc), tomatoes, and pumpkins and squash were washouts. The only edibles I had do better than normal were the blackberries and apples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog.

• dirtdaddy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harvested over five hundred peppers from fourteen plants this afternoon. Trying to beat the frost. Anyone else?

• cybrczch
    13 years ago

My 2010 garden in Nebraska:
    Garlic - planted in 2009, harvested in 2010. Grew 7 varieties, narrowed down to 2 for 2011.
    Onions - First year in a while I planted sets instead of plants. Weeds took over during cold wet weather and the plants never recovered, poor harvest.
    Spinach and lettuce - both bolted right away for me, if it wasn't for fall spinach from 2009 that overwintered I wouldn't have had any greens.
    Brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi) - Did real good, until... I made up a Bt spray to combat cabbage worm, and misread the instructions on the wetting agent, used 10x too much. Burned everything, the only plants that recovered were some kohlrabi on the end of the row that didn't get a full blast of the spray. Replanted broccoli and the bunnies ate em.
    Peas - tried Cascadia and Sugar Lace snap peas, they grew well and produced great - until I got sick and couldn't get out to pick, then the wet weather encouraged slugs. Still got enough to eat plenty and freeze some.
    Bush beans - planted a Romano variety and a regular variety which, as it turned out, had pods almost as flat as the Romano. Got a couple good pickings before the cucumber beetles turned them into Swiss cheese.
    Tomatoes - planted a hybrid paste variety for making sauce, and a couple beefsteak types for eating. Did okay.
    Peppers - planted sweet bells, they did middling well.
    Cucumbers - started Diva, Diamant and Cool Breeze indoors and transplanted out, grew on trellis. With all the cucumber beetles I had eating beans, zinnias, celosia, dahlias, and every other flower I was growing, I had very little damage on the cucumbers - go figure. More cukes than I could eat, can and give away.
    Cantaloupe - first time I grew them, lost the first to the squirrels but got 3 more after that.
    Watermelon - after years of trying I finally managed to get two of them that were ripe when I picked them! I consider that a win.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus