Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants that didn't get planted

Posted by byegonebooks 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 8, 06 at 9:31

I have several perrenials and a peony tree that didn't get planted since the bed was never finished.

What is better--sticking the entire pot into the ground for the winter or taking it out of the pot and planting it and digging it up in the spring? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants that didn't get planted

oh, good question...i have asked this question on another forum, and i got conflicting advice....so i DID plant everything IN THEIR POTS...what say you midwesterners????thanks, phyl

o

I would say plant it in the ground now and dig up in the spring. It will get a better root system in the ground.

o

• Posted by kec01 5 Chicago IL (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 9, 06 at 14:41

out of pot, into ground, and move next spring. That's what I've done.

o

I have always planted my late purchases into the ground. However, I lost fully half of them by the following spring.
I never took any special care with mulches and such, so that might help to keep them alive. Do know that watering is esential. Up until the ground freezes, keep these newbys watered.

o

It really is up to you- but I have found that most potted plants are pretty stressed by this time of year- I have found a greater sucess rate at burying pots- and planting out in spring. Lets them rest a bit- instead of working hard to establish themselves before winter really hits.
Either way watering is important- although I do tend to stop watering when I put the hose away well before the ground freezes-

o

thanks for the reminder....i almost FORGOT i had planted(IN THEIR POTS) several shrubs and i HAVEN'T been watering them....actually, tho, it's been raining so much that it probably didn't matter!!!! i WISH we would have a couple DRY weeks...i still have alot of work left to do in the yard!

phyl

o

One reason to plant in the ground is that you might forget in the spring to move them, or some other circumstance could intervene. That way they are already planted and would have better luck than in their darn pots. :-) I would go with a nice mulch of leaves around them, too.

Marcia

o

No pots, although JULIE__MN has a valid point about the stress of them settling in so late in the year. Just don't make the same mistake I made last year. I planted a bunch of salvia just before the first frost WITHOUT LABELING their locations! GREAT BIG HUGE MISTAKE, by Spring I had holes all over the backyard and unfortunately, I damaged some of the roots and had to get rid of many. For the most part, those that were recovered were transplanted and grew with great success. Just don't forget to label 'em. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here