Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
perennial herbs

Posted by rexanne z5 Chicago (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 4, 06 at 11:22

Hi,
I'm looking to plant perennial herbs for cooking/medicinal that will over winter here in zone 5. I have a an area I'd like to fill up.

I've got sage, chives, hyssop and french sorrel all started from seed and established for two years now.

what should I add to my list?

perennial herbs-
lavender?
thyme?
rosemary?
(parsely bolts so I'll keep it as anannual)

please help me build a list....

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: perennial herbs

Greek oregano, garlic chives, lemon thyme and any others you can get your hands on, the lavenders, burnet (tastes like cucumber), marjoram, lemon balm, mint, winter savory, tarragon. Rosemary's tough in some locations.

The lemon balm and mints can be invasive. Don't buy tarragon seeds - inferior result...you want to get a French tarragon plant.

That's all I can think of at the moment! Maureen

o

I had some luck with Rosemary in a perfectly draining location. SE WI must really be pushing it for hardiness.

o

Wow, I grow rosemary in a pot, and bring it in during the winter. Had no idea it might be safe outside?!? But I think if it were outside, I wouldn't pick it very much in the winter. I know it likes sandy soil, which is the opposite of what I have, so I have it is a big clay pot with lots of sand mixed into the soil.

Oregano is the only one I was going to suggest, mine is still growing fine despite numerous frosts for the past month and a half! I picked some today to put in the stuffing. Parsley and cilantro seed themselves so well that I almost count them as permanent in my herb area.

Marcia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here