Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zrox

Tree recommendations

zrox
12 years ago

Hello all,

We are heading out this weekend to select some trees for planting this month.

We live in central Illinois. There were some recommendations in my earlier thread:

Cottonwood trees

Maples are a nuisance

Our house is a new construction with no trees, no bushes, no shrubs, nothing at all. The grass is just starting to establish (after a brutal summer seeding).

I am looking for recommendations for trees. House is North(front)-South(back). 0.5 acre lot, sloping from the front to the road, large back yard, no fence, frequent deer.

We really like fall color, spring blooms. I realize this may require raking leaves in the fall.

Some trees of interest to us

1) Maples - in the front between the side walk & the street

2) crab apple - in the front

3) Cottonwood - in the back (as someone recommended in the other thread)

4) roses - along the walkway

5) tulips (coming this week) - along the walkway

6) plums - front & back

7) spruces, pines - on the border

8) service berry - ??

9) oak - back

1. burning bush
  2. weeping willow - I LOVE this tree
  3. weeping cherry
  4. some fruit - apple, pear, etc.

Looking for recommendations from experienced members. We are TOTAL NOOBS. New to mid-west, new to winters, now to gardening.

We are ok with periodic maintenance ... we just dont want trees that are very delicate, extremely difficult to grow, expensive to maintain in the long run.

More info. Both front & back of the house is unprotected yard - no fence, no wind barriers, heavy & dry winds are common in summer & winter. About 25% of the front yard gets little to no sun throughout the year.

Thank you!!

Comments (6)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Your first priority should be the hardscapes. Things like paths, deck, patio, firepit, whatever you want in the yard. Then the really big trees, like oak and maple. Landscaping is usually done from biggest to smallest, planted to allow for the mature size of them, not just the size in 10 or 20 years. Then you get into smaller trees and shrubs, then the flowers.

Getting to know your candidate trees a little better is good for knowing if they would work well in your yard or not. The cottonwood and willow should be planted far away from the house and any underground waterworks since the roots of these are notorious for causing damage in their search for water. Maples and oaks tend to have roots that rise out of the ground as the tree becomes an adult, and can cause warping and buckling in driveways and sidewalks.

Evergreens should go to the north/northwest of the house to block winter winds and so they don't cause shade on the house in winter. Deciduous trees are better on the south and west sides where they block the sun in the summer and let the sun warm the house in winter.

It's easier to go slow and get a firm plan in place regarding the really big stuff that you can't just move around later like you can with flowers. You'll also probably need to water stuff the first year, so don't want to bite off more than you can chew in regard to having time to care for what you plant until it is well established.

There is also a landscape design forum on here. If you could post some pictures, it would be a lot easier for people to give more specific advice on this forum or the landscape one. Is there an arboretum nearby that you could visit? They usually have the trees labeled, and sometimes a map showing where they are, easy to see them all in 1 place in 1 day. Seeing, in person, mature versions of trees you are considering would help a lot. There are many different maples and oaks. Native trees should need little maintenance except fall leaf clean-up.

• aegis1000
    12 years ago

Just some general musings ...

Cottonwood becomes a big, tall tree with lots of leaves
    and that all cottony stuff in the spring. Not sure if
    it works well on a homesite.

Crabapple doesn't look so great in late summer, as they
    tend to lose their foliage to various fungal diseases.
    If I really wanted a crab-apple, I would get one of the
    newer ones (with better disease resistance). To get a
    good crabapple, you're going to have to do your , but
    even if I did find a good one, I would not put it in my
    front yard.

A nice Red Maple in the front would serve you better, I
    think. Depending on the variety, you can get a nice red
    bloom in the early spring, and yellow/red foliage color
    in the fall.

I wouldn't plant any trees in the strip between the
    sidewalk and the street. There's not enough real
    rootzone for a tree there. If you want something there
    other than grass, small shrubs are a better bet (maybe
    the Serviceberries).

Make sure that any Willow you plant is at least 100 feet
    from underground piping. Willows are notorious for clog
    ing underground piping with their roots (in search of
    water), causing the homeowner a hefty piping repair fee
    periodically (sometimes yearly).

I'd suggest that you put most of what you are thinking
    of planting in the back, maybe in a border beyond the
    part of the yard you want to keep open. What you're
    thinking about right now is going to require a large
    palette to sustain.

• finchelover
    12 years ago

cottonwoood trees around here are big no,no...especially if you have allergies

• zrox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the help guys.

We got a few maples, crabapples, couple of oaks, some cherries and one honey locust.

what do you all think?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

It sounds like you have a lot of digging to do. I hope you enjoy your trees! You'll be glad later, in a few years, if you take some pics of the process or at least just after planting.

• zrox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Having the nursery deliver and plant them for this time. They are quite big .. between 2" & 3". Will take some pics.