Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chitown033

My Palmscaping in Chicago

chitown033
17 years ago

I hope you enjoy!

Trachycarpus Fortunei at the end of its third season here in the ground.

{{gwi:868291}}A couple shots across the backyard.

{{gwi:1052791}}Musa Basjoo... not too impressive with the growth this season. Maybe next year =)

{{gwi:1052792}}Blue leaf Red-hot poker blooms better late than never!

{{gwi:1052793}}New Trachycarpus Fortunei

{{gwi:868293}}Front bed

{{gwi:413507}}Neat angle

{{gwi:868292}}

I hope you enjoyed them!

Kyle

Comments (18)

• Oswegian
    17 years ago

I did enjoy them! Just like back home in Tucson. Thanks and good luck! :-)

• liza_jaramillo
    17 years ago

I was meaning to ask you what yucca is that in front of the rock? I have one that looks like it.

• chitown033
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Liza,
    It's Gloriosa. It will form a trunk eventually.

Kyle

• cherylk
    17 years ago

So, do you dig everything up and bring in for the winter? How do you store your banana?

Cheryl

• chitown033
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nope, I don't dig anything. I mulch the banana and for a few cold weeks in winter, I just string rope lights around the palms and wrap them in frost cloth. The yuccas are fully hardy here.

Kyle

• chitown033
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here are a few pictures of my Trachy in winter:

Christmas Eve
    {{gwi:867427}}Middle of January
    {{gwi:867429}}Big January snowfall
    {{gwi:867431}}Coldest morning of -8F, I threw a mattress bag over it for extra protection.
    {{gwi:867425}}Late season snowfall
    {{gwi:1052794}}I only have been protecting this palm for three weeks each winter. It can take 10F without any problems!

Kyle

• deerfieldponder
    17 years ago

That is awesome, any Bananas yet?

• daylily77
    17 years ago

Definitely awesome! Do you get a lot of comments and/or questions from neighbors? I love it.

~ Jennifer

• chitown033
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nope, I havn't gotten any bananas yet, it's quite a challenge to do in this climate. Although, I havn't really been trying.

Other than my immediate next door neighbors, I havn't gotten any comments but I know what they're all thinking... or should I say wondering ;)

Kyle

• wlflvr
    17 years ago

WOW! I love the palm you have with the yucca..what is the name? Amazing..I live in Chicago also, and this is a project I want to start in the spring. I love palms and want a bit of tropical section to my yard also!
    Thanks,
    Sandy

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

Kyle,

You should build a site or host a blog about your Tropical plants that details your experiences. It's all very interesting and imagine all of the people who live here who don't know that what you're doing is possible.

Keep it up.

• chitown033
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks mrbrownthumb,

However, I am moving to Tucson next summer so I won't be able to keep it up much longer. Hopefully my family will be able to take care of most of my plants, but the yard just won't be the same. It has been an interesting and fun experience though!

Kyle

• palmboy2006
    17 years ago

I viewed a posting of yours in the summer, and, being so inspired and impressed, decided to order a 5 gallon windmill palm (trachycarpus fortunei) to plant along the south side of my garage and house (they're connected). I spent about 75 bucks on the plant, pot, and dirt, and upon recieving it i quickly potted it inside. Since it is mid-november, we arent in the warmest of times. Im building a temporary greenhouse out of 2x4's and plastic wrap and it should be done in a day or two. The position of this greenhouse gives it complete protection from the north side and partial protection from the west side.

Can i plant the palm now if i keep it fully protected within the greenhouse all winter? I know it might suffer shock if i do, but can it handle such a late transplant? Ask anything I left out and i will quickly answer you...thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: heres the weather for the next ten days here

• chitown033
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Haha... I'm glad you enjoyed my palms. I wouldn't plant it now... go for it in late March or April. Keep it inside in a south window and mist it and water it once a week. Trachies grew pretty well inside, and it will be even larger come spring time.
    Where did you buy it from?

• palmboy2006
    17 years ago

Ok sounds good...I'll keep it inside in our sun room for now.

I bought it on ebay from collectorpalms.com for $55.48 including shipping. It was processed and packaged in about 9 days, then shipped via US Mail Express Shipping. The palm arrived in perfect condition and the rootball was even packaged with soil (not common for what I've seen for palms being shipped). I was very impressed with the service!

• biednymis
    17 years ago

Hello Kyle
    My name is Marek and J come from Poland. Cold hardy palms is my hobby. Few month ago J`ve bought a book by D.Francko about cold hardy palms and J decided to try it in Poland. J send to Mr.Francko few mails and now J know that his grand parents cames from Poland too. J`ve seen your beautiful pictures from your garden. In this spring J put into a ground few plants: trachycarpus, sabal minor, musa basjoo and washingtonia and now J wait for a winter. My zone is probably 6. J think that you have big experience in cultivating palms in zone 6. Could you sent me few photo (how do you protect yours plant from the freezing)Yours advices can help me very much
    My email is mmalec@orion.biz.pl

• arrick
    17 years ago

Where is a good place for Cold-Hardy Palms in the Chicago area? Or have you been ordering them online?

• ferrous
    13 years ago

I wonder how your palms are doing.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County