Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandra858

Which tree to choose in front of house

Sandra858
9 years ago

The village removed a tree in front of my house, because it was infested with Emerald Ash Borer (EAB). They teil me to pick a new tree, but as someone who failed to grow basil, I have no idea which one to choose. Could anyone help me out?

The tree will be planted on the west side of the house, about 15 yards away from the house. The house is 2 story- colonial. If it is too small, it will not provide enough shade, but if it is too large, it can be a danger with tornado when it gets old. My husband HATES the tree with a lot of falling leaves during fall, so it will be better if it doesn't.

The village tells me to choose 5 out of below list. Please help!

1. Triumph Elm
2. Accolade elm
3. Ginkgo 'Princeton Sentry'
4. Kentucky Coffeetree 'Espresso'
5. Kentucky Coffeetree 'Prairie Titan'
6. Continental Appeal Linden
7. Lincoln Linden
8. Tulip Tree
9. "Red Jewel" Crabapple

1. Cornelian Cherry Dogwood "Golden Glory"
  2. "Rugged Charm" Tartarian maple
  3. China Snow Peking Tree Lilac
  4. Northern Catalpa
  5. Baldcypress "Shawnee Brave"
  6. European Hornbeam
  7. Sweet Gum 'Slender Silhouette'
  8. Ginkgo 'Magyar'
  9. "Chicagoland" Hackberry
  10. London Planetree "Exclamation"
  11. Kastura
  12. Fort McNair Red Horsechestnut
  13. Jack Pear (Dwarf Ornamental Pear)
  14. Ironwood
  15. Japanese Tree Lilac
  16. Eurpoean Beech "Rivers Purple"
  17. Bur Oak (Illinois Prairie Tree)
  18. Swamp White Oak

Comments (7)

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

"My husband HATES the tree with a lot of falling leaves during fall, so it will be better if it doesn't."

Huh?

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Don't choose Linden or Crabapple because they have a lot of falling stuff--not just leaves. I doubt if he wants little apples in the lawn unless you pick them and use them/eat them. The Bur Oak makes acorns and drops them.
    You might just have to look them up on the internet and read about them. An oak tree would grow slowly, but last many years. Elms grow quickly so if you want shade, an elm is a good choice. Tulip tree grows quickly, too.
    Heidi

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

What about a saucer magnolia? Mine is huge with beautiful iridescent pale pink flowers. In the Fall, the leaves turn a beautiful golden color. It blooms in the Spring for a few weeks, and in the Fall, depending on the weather, there's some slight rebloom. It does shed it leaves in the Fall, but it's a deciduous tree-they all do.

As for crabapples, I love them and have over 8 trees on my property. Favorites include: Adams (red), David (white), Louise (pink/weeping variety), malus sergeanti (white;8-10'), Prairiefire(pink). I've chosen varieties that are disease resistant and have very small fruit. I've never had problems with them. The scent of the flowers is amazing and stunning. Would highly recommend.

• Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
    9 years ago

KY Coffeetree is a lovely tree, it gets large enough to be a nice shade tree. It is a rugged native tree with no real pest problems. It's leaves fall quite early, so you can get them cleaned up and gone with little problem.
    Accolade Elm is a lovely elm that is resistant to Dutch Elm Disease. Not much exciting in the way of fall color, but not particularly messy either.
    Gingko is a popular choice these days. Make sure they select males--the female trees drop super-stinky fruits. Their leaves fall off at the first hard frost, so pretty much a one-time cleanup.

Take a look at those three--of the larger trees, I'd recommend them highly.

• Steppskie (5a/b IN)
    8 years ago

My favorite tree is the ginkgo tree.
    Interesting leaves, brilliant yellow fall color; and the leaves drop quickly when they do, so a one-time clean-up is all that is required.
    Plus, the Princeton Sentry is columnar even when mature, so it will not overwhelm the space.
    It is also a male clone, so it does not drop smelly fruit.
    Their skeletons in winter are also intriguing.

• gardeninglife
    8 years ago

A dogwood would be a good idea because it wont get as tall and be such a huge hazard like a tulip. It is also very bueatiful when it flowers too.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider