Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyoshka

Recommendations for a smaller flowering tree in zone 5?

lyoshka
12 years ago

Hi! We are in Chicago suburbs (zone 5). I have redone the front yard and landscaping and next spring, it should finally emerge a garden... I'm looking to put a smaller (8-12 ft) flowering tree in a semicircle at the corner of the house. It'll have 3 twist and shout hydrangeas at its base and will be close to my climbing roses. Happy to post a pic of the layout if that helps..

I know nothing about garden trees, so I really need help... Did some looking online and so far, on paper, Weeping Snow Fountain Flowering Cherry sounds fabulous. Also, pink cascade weeping peach tree sounds interesting. (cherry really has my attention, though)... Are those good choices? Can you recommend any other trees?

Thank you!

Comment (1)

• tuboer
    12 years ago

you may want to check out a "purple prince crabapple" it grows a little taller 20', but it has bright red flowers against bronze-purple leaves in spring . they change to bronze-green in the summer, and the new bark has a hint of purple. the fruit is maroon 3/8" and hang on the tree. the link is to the wholesale nursery in NE Ohio