Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anitamo

How many leaves are you raking?

anitamo
18 years ago

Last year at this time, we had already raked/mowed/leaf vacumed, composted leaves about 7 times all before the end of October. Of course, we kept raking into November so it seemed that I had composted billions of leaves. This past weekend marks the first for this year so far. I am waiting for the axe to fall. When they will all come down at once and I'll be picking them up through the snow. Or maybe we'll get lucky this year, and because of the drought they'll just shrivel on the branch and not fall? Anyone else notice how late the leaves have fallen this year?

Comments (10)

• lucia59
    18 years ago

I have one lonely maple tree in my side yard, but it started losing its leaves early this year. It is already almost bare and I am noticing everyone else's trees are still full.
    Must be a fluk of some sort.

Lucia

• mrmorton
    18 years ago

My home is surrounded by all sorts of mature Ash and Maple trees which seem to be "falling" at about the same time as any other year. I also have a large old Sycamore tree which always waits until mid to late November to drop it's huge, plant suffocating leaves. It's a pain to get those taken care of once the true cold hits.

• Oswegian
    18 years ago

I am surprised the leaves are sticking to the trees as well as they are here. We are in the far western burbs, and maybe we had enough rain this fall and mild temps to keep the sap holding them on. I don't know how it works, but surely it must have something to do with moisture. It has been really like California winter weather here, which won't make the sap fall in the trees. But the leaves are sticking on trees that I know didn't get watered during the drought. The autumn weather must have been kind to them.

• chitown033
    18 years ago

I notice this year is a bit delayed compared to last year. Most of the maples and oaks around my property are still fully green. I am only getting some leaves in my yard from the neighbors tree. I hope im not out there in december raking wet mushy leaves!

• pam_aa
    18 years ago

I went to the Morton Arboretum today and the fall color was breathtaking. About half to one quarter of the leaves have fallen there.
    I usually don't have much raking to do at my house till after Halloween and itÂs about the same this year. The Ole timer Ash down the street is always the first to go in mid October. I have a Locust in the parkway that gives a nice shade, but do those tiny leaves get stuck in EVERYTHING!

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

We need a hard freeze. My allergies need some relief! I wonder if the warm weather is making the leaf-drop so late too. My daughter has only moed leaves for a week here. Usually, we are almost done, but most are still on the trees yet.

• smom40
    18 years ago

From what I'm hearing in the media here, our very warm temperatures that lasted longer into the fall than normal have delayed the leaves turning...So if they're not turning, they're not falling.

We're getting our color now, but we're still not completely there yet. It's fine by me. I'm composting and mulching leaves and this buys me time to mulch them as they come down. I don't have to do it all at once! :)

• LauraIL26
    18 years ago

We're supposed to get rain all weekend in Central Illinois so I'm guessing the yard will be one big MESS with wet leaves. Mother Nature is the coolest.

Laura

• ceresone
    18 years ago

I understand its our drought this summer. our woods hit their peak of color last thursday, friday morning, they started to brown. we had 40 mph wind-but leaves are still on the trees. i think it will be like you said--about a week, when the times right, and they will be bare.this is the oaks, the maples are losing one at a time.

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

None, thank goodness. I have no lawn so the leaves just add to the mulch. In fact, I cruise around with my trailer scavanging leaves from the neighborhood to add to my gardens.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor