Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmw68

Chicago Garden Expo

bmw68
19 years ago

Does anyone know if Chicago has an annual garden expo? I seem to recall they had one in 2004 but I am not finding any information on the internet for a 2005 show. If anyone has any information, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Comments (17)

• tadeusz5
    19 years ago

Yes there is info on the 2005 show; it's in March.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2005 info and 2004 recap

• bmw68
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the information!

• klimkm
    19 years ago

It is every year in March at Navy Pier. Although it was a nightmarish experience for me the two times I went because of the crowds and traffic. I would see if there are any "bus tours" or something you can tag along on. It would make your experience less painful. Or take public transportation into Chicago or something like that.

A third time I went - went all the way down there - paid to park - and it was so crowded we never got into the show. Waited for an hour and a half with a two year old in a line that did not move even a little.
    Just terrible - and this was on a Monday.

It is very nice to see, some impressive exhibits though.

KMK

• tadeusz5
    19 years ago

Klimkm;

What about a Metra Train from Aurora , or the Northwest line to Union Station, then a CTA BUS to Navy Pier for the show. You can always have the time coming back on bus/train
    to catch-up on those handouts.

• veronicastrum
    19 years ago

Timing is everything with this show. I have had the best luck going at around 3:00 on a Saturday. The crowds really start to thin out about that time.

While the bus tour would eliminate traffic woes, I can tell you that those same bus tours almost all come at the same time, thus creating crowds in the show. I have worked the show on Monday as a volunteer and many area garden clubs, park districts, senior clubs all come through at once. You can tell by the name tags.

V.

• birdsnblooms
    19 years ago

In the early 90's, I used to love going to the Flower show..Not only did they have beautiful displays, but vendors selling plants were everywhere..Not anymore..I talked to vendors and they don't want to bother toting plants back and forth. To make it worse while carrying my newly purchased plants from Navy Pier to the parking lot, $21.00, 3 out of 5 plants froze..If you just want to view and not buy plants, go to Garfield Pk and Oak Pk conservatory, or Botanical Gardens..All great places. Toni

• honeybunny442
    19 years ago

Last year we went on the day they had the St. Pat's day, Sat March 13? We got right in, but some of the lines for the displays were long. We parked several blocks away in a city lot.
    During the summer we took the Metra train down from Kenosha and then got on the free trolley to go to the Art Museum. I don't know if the trolley runs in March, though. It would save a lot of hassle.
    Susan

• Roberta_z5
    19 years ago

I went only one time several years ago and frankly, I was very disappointed. I had hounded my husband for several years because I heard so many good things about it. It wasn't all that crowded, but the displays looked pretty artificial and I have to say I got absolutely no ideas from it. I guess I would much rather see a garden during the spring or summer when it is blooming when and where it should be.

I'm glad I had the experience because I now know that I am missing nothing.

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

I was thinking this would provide a good excuse for me to use to learn about the light rail system. I've been wanting to try that for a couple of years. Just need to get it all figured out.

From what I've seen, I think I have to get on in Kenosha, (I live around Milwaukee/Waukesha,) and possibly buy my tickets ahead of time. I'd better look up that website again. Good project for winter months, while nothing much is going on in the garden. I'll have to figure out bus from rail to Expo as well.

Thanks for pointing this Expo out.

• tadeusz5
    19 years ago

Cantstopgardening;

Metra train- Union Pacific Distr "North line" Leaves 5414 13th ave in Kenosha and arrives at the Ogilvie Center in downtown Chicago at Madison and Canal ($6.10 one way adult)

walk out of the Ogilvie Center and catch the CTA # 124 bus
    to NAVy Pier.

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/bus/bus/124.pdf

Enjoy the show and tell us about your experiences.

Here is a link that might be useful: North line from Kenosha,wisc to CHGO

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

Thank you so much. I'm going to go!
    cantstop

• tadeusz5
    19 years ago

Did anyone attend the opening day- March 12,2005??

Is the $13.00 ticket price worth the effort to go to Navy Pier?? What impressed you the most??

thanks
    Tadeusz.

• bellarosa
    19 years ago

I didn't attend the opening of the show, but I did go today and was unfortunately, disappointed. I thought the displays were just okay, only a few of them were very interesting. I didn't really get any ideas and was amazed at the sheer number of vendors selling crap - e.g. garden towels? I go every year, but I think I'm going to skip the show and maybe go to the Chicago Botanical Garden's greenhouse or Garfield Park, instead.

• Kerstin_Linnea
    19 years ago

Hi guys.
    Is it possible to actually buy plants down there?
    what I saw on tv, It looked pretty bleak to me.
    klk

• dirtdiver
    19 years ago

I haven't been down there for a couple of years and likely won't go this year either, but typically you may find a few hosta or tiny conifers, and there may be a few tropicals dealers, "lucky bamboo" sellers and the like. Usually on the last day some exhibitors sell off what's been on display, but considering it's often woody shrubs that have been forced and then subjected to the show (generally the plants look kind of ratty by the end of the show's run), I'd doubt that it's a good bet.

• gardeninggrrl
    19 years ago

I went this year, after enjoying the show the last two years, and was *extremely* disappointed. If I wanted to see tulips and daffodils and hyacinths, for god's sake, I'd just wait a few weeks for spring in Chicago and walk around the neighborhood! Usually I walk around and find myself scribbling the names of all the interesting flowers that I'd like to grow....this time, absolutely nothing.

And my friend pointed out that they didn't even bother to vary things enough to make it interesting. For example, for the "white flower" display (which was drab in any case), all the flowers were the same height. Big deal!

And there was one section that was a study in drab - a sea of uninspired coleus and other plants that were some dingy shade...again, all the same height.

Total waste of money this year. I'm glad we didn't have to wait in line - we went Wednesday afternoon and it was pretty empty. As for vendors, I agree, mostly schlock. I do like the Triton college people - they're very friendly, and they always have the most beautiful jade plants.

GG

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

Now I don't feel so bad about having to go back on my word to go. Life has gotten too busy!!