Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kpyork

Winter gardens to visit in Midwest?

kpyork
18 years ago

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any good outdoor "winter" gardens or landscapes to visit in the Midwest (more specifically, Illinois)? Not expecting lots of blooms, of course, but want to see how good design, choice plants and planning can carry the beauty of the garden throughout all seasons.

I am planning a garden for my new home and don't want to look at a bunch of naked sticks all winter!

Also found a free magazine to subscribe to, for those in N. IL or similar zone/climate...check out www.ornamentals-edibles.com.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• klimkm
    18 years ago

Botanical gardens in Glencoe, IL. Lovely bonsai garden and also lots of indoor conservatories.

• Carol_Ann
    18 years ago

I know this sounds obvious, but what about Chicago Botanic Garden and Morton Arboretum? I haven't been to either in years but they should provide some winter inspiration.

Also, one thing I like to do is walk around different neighborhoods and look at landscaping. When something strikes your eye, look at it and figure out what it is you like. I don't try to duplicate other people's yards but I look at the underlying concept and store it away for when I might need it.

Consider adding lots of evergreens to your yard -- they really make a difference any time of year but especially in winter -- and trees/shrubs with interesting bark and twigs (color, contorted branches, etc.). Grasses, even when brown and dry, add interesting structure to your yard, as do some perennials.

Do a google on Illinois botanical gardens and see what you come up with.

Have fun looking and dreaming!

• susan926
    18 years ago

Those listed above are great spots, in addition up in the Rockford area is a lovely Japanese garden that we just discovered.

• celticlass
    18 years ago

The Botanical Gardens in St Louis has some great gardens including a Japanese garden and an English wooded garden

• Oswegian
    18 years ago

I can vouch that a clear, sunny windless winter day at the Morton Arboretum in Lisle is heavenly. They have miles of paths, and you have the place more or less to yourself. It's a good chance to see plants you might be interested in as they look in winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Morton Arboretum map (scroll down for specifics)

• gardenberry
    18 years ago

FYI for those of you out there planning trips to Chicago Botanic Garden...

The indoor greenhouses and bonsai collection are both closed for renovations until July 2006. The Japanese Garden, also a favorite place in winter is open, however, it is surrounded by chainlink fence because of a huge shoreline restoration project. But the garden is still beautiful - you just have to ignore the lack of water and the ugliness of the fence and concentrate on the beauty of the landscape and trees and shrubs. All the other garden areas are open and beautiful in all seasons.

• NinjaPixie
    18 years ago

If you're ever in the far west burbs, you might like to check out the Fabyan Forest Preserve in Geneva. It's got something for everyone -- there's a very neat reconstructed windmill, lovely grounds, a villa designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, and a Japanese garden, complete with a little tea house and a (former) bear cage.

I live in the area, and love to visit the estate in winter... it's such an interesting place. The Japanese garden is closed to visitors in winter, but it's still just gorgeous from outside.

The estate is also very near the Fox River, which has lovely trails for scampering around. I love biking up there... certainly wouldn't want to try today, though, what with the single-digit temps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabyan Forest Preserve info

• basic
    18 years ago

I've used this site a few times when planning vacations. BTW, Anderson Japanese Gardens in Rockford is the #2 ranked Japanese garden in the U.S. I haven't seen it yet, but I hope to get down there this spring. Good Luck!

Basic

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Travel site