Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
heirloom tomatoes!

Posted by Missouri_Greenwitch zone6 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 8, 04 at 0:33

I'm planning my spring garden already (I know I'm not alone)! I'd like to try a few more heirloom tomatoes this year. what have you all found to be the most successful/prductive Heirloom tomatoes in zone 6: especially the St. Louis area? Thanks--Happy Solstice! greenwitch

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: heirloom tomatoes!

Zone 6 is an excellent zone for growing tomatoes, overall. Your biggest question is your soil. If you amend your soil properly, you can have excellent heirloom tomatoes.
Pick your varieties based on your taste preference. For a true tomato fan, I always recommend trying any of the following... Black Krim, Black from Tula, Purple Calabash, Omar's Lebanese and Persimmon. There are so, so many out there to try!
Best wishes and Happy New Year!
DD

o

My absolute favorite in the Chicago suburban area is Pruden's Purple. We think the flavor is great and it produces well and reasonably early here. Check it out...

Jean

o

My favorite heirloom is Amish Paste. It's not just a paste tomato, they're very good on sandwiches, etc. Sungold is the BEST cherry tomato ever! People who don't even like tomatoes like Sungold!

o

I read an article about taste-testing paste tomatoes. Both Amish Paste and San Marzano were tops. I've grown both and they are far superior to Roma.

Rhoda

o

Rose de Berne has great taste.

o

Tappy's Heritage yeilded really well for me and tastes good too.Also try Japanese black trifelle, black cherry,I really like white tomesol.Was really popular at the 2004 Heirloom garden show.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here