Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
December and Spring bulbs are blooming!

Posted by ferrous 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 20, 06 at 9:14

I noticed my Hyacinth and daffodills are budding their flowers and it's still December. I know it's been very warm but won't that hurt the plants if we get -20F weather in January? Should I just cover them with something or leave hoping they'll make it through the winter. They are already few inches tall.

Do you have similar things happening in your garden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: December and Spring bulbs are blooming!

My grape hyacinth have sent up their usual grassy foliage.
I have a circular bed around a front garden, and had a hard time getting my lawn man to 'let them grow'.

In spite of the spate of unusually warm weather here in SE WI (West Bend)no Daffs or tulips have poked their heads up. (South-facing front lawn- 3 weeks of warm weather)

If my spring bloomers were already putting up spears of blooms, I am not sure what I would do. I guess I would
just let them go and do their thing. Then wish for better timing next year.

Maybe I will buy and read Al Gores new book/video. many things are out of whack.

o

Yeah nothing much you can do about it. Something is poking it's head in my garden too.

o

• Posted by arrick Z5b LaGrange IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 6, 07 at 16:04

I have some snowdrops and daffodils against a southern exposure on my garage that I planted there on purpose to produce exactly this effect - third January in a row now with blooming flowers, they usually start the last week of December. The early cold and then a warmup like we had this year always gets them going.

The earlier bulbs will survive no problem. Especially if they get covered with snow before the next cold snap. If not, you might lose some of the early blooms, but the bulb survives. I think spring bulbs bloom longer in cold weather anyway. If we get an early 80F (like late March or April), that seems to exhaust the bulbs even more than a cold snap. Besides, they give you something to look at outside this time of year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here