Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyleo_gw

need suggestions

ladyleo
17 years ago

I am finaly going to get to start gardening again, but i am in a new area and any info or suggestions as to what are good hardy plants would be helpfull. no decent nurserys that i know of here. and homedepo and walmart carry everything, even things that have no business being planted out here.... i am not a new gardener, but hope to hear some good things from people use to this area.... thanks

Comments (6)

• cdjr
    17 years ago

While not a recommendation based on experience, here are two books I ran across while looking for a gift book for my sister. They are both by Cathy Wilkinson Barash.

Month by Month Gardening in the Prarie Lands

Prarie Lands Gardener's Guide

In the link they are #2 and #5 on the list.

Hope this will be helpful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cathy Wilkinson Barash books

• beaver007
    17 years ago

You think I would be able to help you I have lived here all my life, But I have this thing about pushing my luck with mother nature and I have a yard full of things that do'nt normally grow here, Aroids, Bananas and palms, Only so many years of looking at corn a person can handle.
    I'm to lazy to move to a climate where those plants belong. LOL
    Now I feel bad that I really dont know a whole lot about my own states native plants.

• pondwelr
    17 years ago

If your phone book lists a county court house general info number, call it and ask for their county agriculturist. He can tell you, or send you literature on what plants grow best in your area. An invaluable source of information at no cost at all.

Secondly, drive around and look at lawns, gardens, and landscaping you like during the coming Spring. Dont be afraid to knock on doors and ask. Most people LOVE to answer questions about their beautiful creations! When I lived in the country, people stopped constantly if I was in the front yard.

Listen to the local radio station. They often have call-in talk shows where you can ask specific questions about a certain plant.

Know that you will have to do some research and work yourself. You cant just yell help and expect too many answers. But you can usually get an answer if you ask "does (blah blah) apple tree survive or thrive here?"
    listing the type and variety in place of my blah blah, of course.

You will be amazed at how quickly you'll learn about your new climate, Ladyleo. Also, send for all the free garden catalogs you can. They are a real source of information.
    I happen to have gotten a new one this week from Jungs. Their phone is 1-800-247-5864. Good luck to you.

Pondy

• beaver007
    17 years ago

Ladyleo really did get me thinking, I know alot about what doesnt belong here and how to make it grow here but really I dont know alot about what belongs here.
    Thanks a bunch for the advice Pondwelr, I think its time I started learning what I should already know.........

• knownonines
    17 years ago

Ladyleo- I moved to SE Nebr. over 20 yrs. ago from central Ohio. The weather can be very extreme here. The wind can blow over 40mph for days without bringing any rain or weather. You can have plants sitting in water and they still wilt. The soil is wind blown loess in most places. It acts like clay. compacts terribly, cracks and shrinks in hot dry weather allowing subsurface moisture to evaporate away. ( am I cheering you up yet ?) There is great profit in preaparing the soil you want to plant as much ahead of time as possible. Adding organics, compost etc. is of great use. There is a big reliance here on using native plants and drought tolerant plants. It is so hard to appraise any "new"location and the springs here can be so decieving. It seems there is adequate moisture and all things are possible but time goes on and the rain doesn't keep pace. We are in the midst of a drought that has lasted about six years. It won't look like it this spring(and El Nino could change things) but things won't be easy to sustain. The native plants are generally extremely deeply rooted and can pull up moisture when others can't. There is a an amazing resource here called "Backyard Farmer" on the Nebraska Pub. Television Network. It is the longest running program of any type in the nation (over 50 some years). It is on every Thurs. evening for an hour and another version on Sat AM. Entertaining, timely,packed with info. and you can call or email in questions. The Univ. of Nebr. in Lincoln (UNL) runs this and the extension office there is great. For specifics on what you can plant, the suggestions of others here about visiting what appear to be sucessful gardeners in your immediate area is good advice. Consider heavily the exposure you have and what they have. We live on an acreage and I can't grow half of the things our sheltered friends in the city can. As an aside - if you can recieve Chan. 10 TV from Lincoln you are lucky. They give a really good picture of the prospects for weather for a large area and are fairly understanding of weather effects of gardening and agriculture as opposed to the Omaha stations who report things as far as the city limits as a rule and are always happy when no rain is in the outlook. Welcome to the state. I could give you a list of nurseries and plant opportunities if you'd like. Best Wishes

• durtroadz
    17 years ago

I work in Horticultural Research in NW Kansas, and the advice given above is right on target. Get in contact with your county extension agent, and have them assemble a packet of information containing suggested perennials, trees, shrubs, vines, etc. for your specific area. It's their job, make sure they are earning the tax dollars you are paying to keep them in that job. ;)

Also, seek out some gardening clubs in your community or neighboring communities. Perennials need dividing every few years, and those divisions have to go somewhere!

You might also consider putting a small wanted add in your local paper. You might be suprised by how many people have extra divisions that they are willing to share. If they have divisions, that means the plant was prolific enough to do well in your area/climate. It should be a safe bet that it will do well in your yard too.

Once you get involved in the gardening community, there will be an immense amount of knowlege and advice that can be soaked up under a shade tree with a nice glass of iced tea. Spring is just around the corner! Make some connections with people as soon as possible!