Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foxgloves - do I leave out for winter?

Posted by homerunriot 5, Chicago (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 1, 06 at 17:13

Today I noticed new growth on one of my "Foxy" Foxgloves, it looks as green as a summer day, even during this 28 degree weather. I also discovered 9 growing in my garden a couple of weeks ago so for the sake of saving them, I dug them up and put them in individual plant containers and put them up on the window sill, but I've been told that they need to be left out through the winter in order for them to flower next year. I know it's a bienniel but now I'm second guessing bringing them indoors, did I screw up their evolution? Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foxgloves - do I leave out for winter?

They are perfectly hardy to this area. You can plant them in the ground, pot and all any day now. Maybe after acclimatising for a day or three. Am not sure that they necessarily "need" the cold, but you do want them to be growing in your garden, in your climate, and you shouldnt have to baby them at all. These first yr seedlings will not bloom this spring, but will send down roots and get established, so get them out of their pots and into their new home in the Spring.

I've had great luck with Foxys' and Lupines too. Actually, the lupines are almost a pest, sowing their babies everywhere.

I dont know when you dug the Fox gloves, but if it was within the past week or so, just pop them back outside. If a month or more ago, then I honestly dont know. I guess I would keep them indoors until the ground is thawed enough next spring. They will be fine in the house. A very unfussy plant.
Good luck, Pondy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here