Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native Shrub and Tree - how close to house is ok?

Posted by akle 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 3, 11 at 1:50

Hi

I am in Los Angeles in Zone 10 (inland) and have a 1920s bungalow. I'm thinking of planting a Mexican Elderberry (Sambucus Mexicana) and a Birch Leaf Mountain Mahogany (Cercocarpus betuloides var. betuloides) to the east of the house, next to a cinder block fence. It would get partial sun (2 hours below 8 feet high and 5 hours above 8 feet high. Is planting it 6 feet from the house safe for the foundation? I read on UFEI (www.ufei.org) that it has low rot damage potential so hoping this could work. On the UFEI site, it says roots rarely damage foundations but I have heard of problems.

Thanks,
Ari

Here is a link that might be useful: UFEI - root damage

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native Shrub and Tree - how close to house is ok?

In addition to potential root damage, consider the mature width of the plants. If the Cercocarpus gets wider than 12 at maturity then you will have to prune it to keep it away from the house and that will affect it's shape. More work for you and not so good for the plant either.

So research the mature width and divide by two - that would be the distance from the house at a minimum. If 10 feet, then divided by 2 equals 5 feet and therefore planting it six feet away is ok.

o
RE: Native Shrub and Tree - how close to house is ok?

I wonder if the elderberry might get a little large to be that close to the house. I just checked a couple of sources and saw mature widths of 12 to 20 feet, which fits with the general I have from noticing them in the wild.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here