Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trying to locate a source of tansy (Tanacetum vulgare)

Posted by enigma7 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 27, 11 at 7:37

Hi everyone,

For the last couple years we've had certain times where the common black ant has decided to migrate into our home in huge numbers. This is normally in late spring and summer and with a small child we just don't want to start spraying pesticides everywhere. Normally we go the vacuum and ant trap route and I'll make up a 5% solution of borax and honey for outside where they come in.

One of the "natural" remedies I've read is using tansy leaves to keep these buggers at bay and they are great beneficial insect-attracting plants as well, not to mention have a beautiful yellow flower. It would be kept contained since I know they can grow pretty invasive if not restricted but the problem is I CAN'T FIND THEM ANYWHERE FOR PURCHASE!

I'm located in SE PA near philly and would love some help in acquiring a plant or two.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trying to locate a source of tansy (Tanacetum vulgare)

At your local nursery, in the herb or perennial sections come spring/summer. You won't be planting until then anyways.

FataMorgana

o

Hi Enigma, you would probably have better luck purchasing the seed and growing them from seed. I grew Tansy from seed many years ago, and remember it being very easy to start from seed.

Btw, as I recall it's kind of an ugly plant and smells funny. The smell might be what repels the ants though!

o

Enigma, you may know this already, but tanacetum vulgare is NOT a North American native. It hales from Europe and Asia. People that sell herbs and cottage garden plants often have them for sale.

o

Hi Enigma;
just wondering if you have checked with your Dept of Agriculture I know in most of Canada and many of your states it is considered a noxious weed. Each plant can have 20 - 250 flowers and can have between 50,000 and 175,000 seeds. One more thing to be careful of is the midwives used to use a tea made from tansey to cause an abortion. Sounds like you have a young family just saying... I enclosed the link from the Montana Dept of Agriculture but there are many more...
take care

Here is a link that might be useful: Montana Dept. of Agriculture

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here