SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jebfarm

Trillium project

jebfarm
10 years ago

Hello all -

Here is a picture of some of the trillium I have propagated - I felt this place needed a little midwinter lift, something to get you thinking about spring!
This started back in 1987 with one plant - the variety is 'Otis Bigelow' one of the flore - pleno cultivars of Trillium grandiflorum. After a couple of years getting established in my garden the plant grew into a nice clump and I divided it during a brave moment. The plants all thrived, I joined a trillium discussion group on the web and found the ideal soil mix to use for container growing and have been producing potted material (and bare root material) for local nurseries and for seasonal retail sales at a farmer's market for many years now.
Every winter I cross my fingers and hope that my trillium make it through without damage from rodents and so far there hasn't been a problem - I attribute that to the hunting skills of my cat, who keeps the vole populations down.
I guess I am 'showing off' a bit here, attempting to get you excited about native plants. Please understand that I am not advertising these plants for sale, just trying to possibly get an intelligent native plant conversation started!

- Jeb

Comments (37)

Sponsored