Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Juniperus virginiana

Posted by jerrizone7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 10:28

Hi, I am new to the forums. I am in Memphis and would like to add a Juniperus virginiana. I am hoping to attract some cedar waxwings in the winter. I have some questions though. I don't have space for the species. Would a smaller cultivar such as 'Taylor' or 'Grey Owl' attract wild life as well as the species? Also, I don't have apples or crabapples and none of my immediate neighbors do, would watching for galls and removing them be responsible enough to try to prevent the spread of cedar apple rust or, since I don't spray pesticides or fungicides in my yard, is this a plant that I should skip?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Juniperus virginiana

My parents have a lot of them. Not a pretty tree, but tough as nails. There was a big crop of the blue-gray berries this year. They are very very narrow, so you don't need a lot of space for them. They take a while to get big. There narrow profile means you can use them like a hedge if you like. I've seen a couple of the galls on the cedars. The crabapple in the yard is doing fine. There are some apple trees in the neighborhood...don't know how they are doing.

You might want to repost this in the Conifers forum.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 14:01

o

Thanks for the response. I'll do that.

o

Sorry, but your quest is going to be futile. The Eastern Red Cedar is not the best thing if you want to keep peace with the neighbors. it is host for Apple and Hawthorn rust. There are so many other things you can grow instead.
Whenever I see them now I try to kill them. I had a few in my city lot a long time ago before I knew what they were. Came Spring one year I found that somebody cut them down without my knowledge. Now I know why.

o

Why do you say "if you want to keep peace with the neighbors", dandy line? The OP said none of the neighbors has fruit trees.

We have plenty of eastern redcedar all around the neighborhood; they seem to exist just fine with the neighborhoods.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 19:49

Lol, I can't believe anyone wants to plant them...despite being native, they're runaway pests here in Arkansas. I had horrible times with them in Oklahoma trying to keep them out of a prairie planting. They occur (due to birds...which does mean birds like them) far too often :)

o

Someone may want to plant it because its home to 37+ species of caterpillar and its one of the few evergreens native to this area.

o

One of the homeliest trees ever, and a neighborhood can be within 10 miles of it and get infected.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here