Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting poppy seeds... Help!

Posted by miss_lee 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 7, 06 at 13:24

I moved from the pacific Northwest to southern Ohio a year and a half ago and I miss my favorite flower the Poppy. I tried to grow them last year but they wouldn't grow, I think it was too hot but I would like to try again. Any information would help from getting the soil right to feeding them and how to keep them cool or if I must how to grow them in doors.
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting poppy seeds... Help!

What kind of poppy? How did you try to grow them?

Around here they are super easy, just throw seed on prepared soil in the fall. Don't cover it. In the spring you have poppies! Sowing in the spring is too late, and they like that winter chill.

o

No poppy (Papaver) is native to N. America. Why not try a poppy relative, the Bloodroot. Cheery white flowers bloom very early in the Spring. Ask for Sanguinaria canadensis at the Spring plant sales, it is an Ohio native.
Sam

o

The "carnation poppies" or "peony-flowered poppies" (don't ask for the botanical name, because then we get into all kinds of err issues here) should do well in Ohio. I was given some seed by fellow gardeners in Kansas, and I just hurled it all over the place. The result was that my flower beds all had beautiful red, fully double poppies in between the perennials and roses. I loved it.

Oriental poppies were also excellent doers for me in the Midwest.

Icelandic poppies didn't work well for me there--it was too hot and too humid. Also, forget about trying Meconopsis spp., and Shirley/Flanders poppies are kinda iffy. I never tried California Poppies (Escholtzia spp.) in Kansas, but I suspect it's too humid and too cold in winter for them.

o

I bought a packet of seeds called, Poppy-American Legion... brillant red...are they easy to grow...any hints?
My yard is mostly shade.

o

If these are an annual poppy - not oriental or icelandic, just fling them where you want them to be.

o

• Posted by arvind San Jose, CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 5, 06 at 16:28

The California poppy is native to California (Eschscholzia californica). Grows very well in other parts of the country. Is an invasive plant in Chile. Normally an annual, in California gardens it is a perennial with year round water. Needs periodic cutting back to keep it looking fresh.

o

I live in southern ohio and my poppies thrived this year. There is an odd but very efficent way of growing them. in the late winter while there is snow on the ground just drop a bunch of seeds on the bed where you want them to grow. and really, just drop them on the snow. I did this in 2 places and my poppies are huge and still in bloom after like 2 months with all different kinds of poppies too. Trust me, it works. they may sprout in the middle of winter, but dont worry, they will make it through just fine. They are very very cold hardy when young.

o

I am so glad to find this thread! i've never grown poppies but got a package of seeds in the mail and the instructions say throw them out about 2 weeks b4 the last frost (Midwest IL here). I can't wait to see their heads pokin out in the spring! The hummingbirds love red plants so you get double the pleasure!! Thanks to all who posted here!

o

bextir, I have never been impressed with those free poppies you get in the mail. If you want poppies buy a packet of peony poppies or shirley poppies. Or go to the seed exchange here and say you are a newby and want to try poppies for postage. People who grow poppies have lots of seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here