Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yaupon Holly question

Posted by stretchtex1 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 13:29

I just purchased a home with about 10 of these planted in the front bed. They all appear to be tall and skinny at the bottom. Ive scheduled a consultation with a gardener to come have a look at these bushes. Is it possible that they can be pruned in such a way that will allow them to fill out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yaupon Holly question

additional photo

o

That is Nandina domestica. Not native to the US, invasive in Florida wild areas.

And there is a report that cedar waxwings can gorge themselves on it (their normal behavior) and die due to the trace amounts of cyanide in each berry.

I would get rid of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article about that here

o

I have never understood what people find attractive about Nandina, they're one of the ugliest shrubs I can think of. My first house had them plated across the entire back, I ripped them all out.

You may be able to find some dwarf Yaupon that would work in that area.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 8:59

Agree, (about the toxicity and about removal).
If the area is too shady for yaupon(looks dim in photo at least), consider replacing with something more shade tolerant like oakleaf hydrangea (h quercifolia).

o

Thanks so much! These will all be removed next week. The front of my home in south/central Texas faces north/northwest and the neighborhood has a healthy deer population. I'm thinking of replacing with a yaupon holly.

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 22:00

Deer will nibble on yaupons but it doesn't hurt them in the least.

Here on the gulf coast yaupons will get about 25 feet tall and rather dense. Fast growing too. They'll grow just about anywhere.

If you want to plant them right next to the house you'll want to consider a dwarf variety.

o

The reason for nandina's persistence in American gardens is that there are not many (any?) robust native evergreen alternatives with good multi-season variety that can hit 6 to 8 ft of height from only a 3 ft diameter footprint. We've been looking for a weeping yaupon (Ilex vomitoria 'Pendula') or the new female (berried) fastigiate 'Scarlet's Peak' to try as a replacement for some nandinas we have as a privacy screen on the property line. These yaupon cultivars stay narrower than the standard variety, but also want to get much taller than your soffit. I've seen a weeping yaupon being kept at 6 to 8 ft that looked okay (though not sure how old it was), but don't know how the fastigiates ('Will Fleming' is a male version) respond to being kept much shorter than their natural height. Need to select female yaupons if you want a chance of berries.

Standard yaupon (Ilex vomitoria) will only fit in your space if you're prepared to do a lot of pruning and training. The common dwarf cultivars get much bigger than most nursery photos indicate and will top out around the bottom of the window shown in the photo. Good thing is the dwarfs can be cut back to most any size as needed and will look good after a season of recovery; we keep some at about 2.5 ft with a major trim every 2 or 3 years.

'Micron/Gremicr' is a relatively new cultivar that is smaller than the other dwarfs ('Nana', 'Stoke's', 'Schillings',..) . Unfortunately none of the dwarf cultivars I'm aware of have berries.

This post was edited by bostedo on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 11:35

o

Forgot to suggest you take a look at Virginia sweetspire (Itea virginica). Depending upon where you are in Texas, this can work as a shade tolerant semi-evergreen shrub that has a lot of the color characteristics of nandina: prominent white flowers in spring, great red colors in late fall and winter, and green the rest of the year. 'Henry's Garnet' is a 4 to 7ft improved variety and there's a smaller cultivar known as 'Little Henry'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Itea virginica 'Henry's Garnet'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here