Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Transplanting???

Posted by bob64 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 10, 07 at 15:24

The unusually warm weather around here lately makes me wonder if I could move some of my trees now. I never would have previously considered this in January but I have rarely had such warm weather in January either (69 degrees last saturday). What do y'all think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Transplanting???

I don't see why not. I'd do it if I had any to move at this time (and in this weather).

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA

o

I've been transplanting small shrubs and trees from out of the woods,into my yard during this mild weather,while the ground remains unfrozen and the humidity high.I just make sure the roots of the transplants are protected from excessive freeze-thaw cycles and drying,during the winter, by mulching them with leaf litter after the move.This weather's been great for outdoor work but I'm begining to wonder whether I should be looking for plants from a more southern source in anticipation of climate change.

o

Thanks Knotty and NYWoodsman.
I too have been wondering if some more heat-tolerant plants will be in order. Maybe some plants that are more common in Maryland or Northern Virginia will be in order soon here in NY. I wonder weather my "winter-sown" seeds will be sufficiently cold stratified to germinate come spring?

o

I have transplanted several species of trees and shrubs during warm winter weather with great success. Moving woody plants during winter allows many species to be moved bare-root without as much worry about drying out as during summer. The species I've moved during winter include serviceberry (amelanchier spp.), Red Cedar (Juniperus virgniana), Winterberry Holly (Ilex veticillata), Eastern hemlock (Tsuga canadensis), and a couple of viburnum species. The only difficulties I've had are with Mountain Laurel (Kalmia latifolia) which are hard to move at any season, but no more so in winter. I have also divided and transplanted many types of perennials and wildflowers while dormant. I think as long as you can dig in the ground it is safe to move plants. I always mulch heavily to try and protect the plants from too many freeze/thaw cycles after I have transplanted them. With evergreens I try to put a fence of lots of leaves around the plants to protect them from dessicating winds. All of the plants I am talking about have been pretty small, so this advice might not apply to larger plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here