SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thepollywogpond

blackhaw viburnum for privacy screen?

c2g
11 years ago

Looking for a better privacy screen along the fence between us and our neighbors' yard:

Currently, I have 5 shrubs there that I can find new homes for: (R to L) virginia sweetspire, beautyberry, small shrubby serviceberry, witherod viburnum, viburnum nudum. All are doing well, but they do nothing in the way of privacy, especially in the winter.

I was thinking blackhaw viburnum, but I have a few questions:

- Is it too crowded between the neighbor's red maple and the cluster of quaking aspen I planted a year ago? I guess I can always prune.
- How many would you plant, and how far apart?

The rest of my yard is all natives and I like the wild look, although blackhaws seem to take it to the extreme once they lose their leaves. The fact that it's good cover for birds trumps any hesitation I have from a design standpoint.

Can anyone think of a better suggestion for that space that would be equally beneficial to wildlife? Blackhaw just seems like it has great benefits and can provide the privacy I'm looking for, but I'm open to suggestions. The soil has a good amount of clay but I've been adding shredded leaves the past few falls as well as compost. Since I have to maintain the lawn in that area for the kids, it will get a fair share of water from the sprinkler. The view in the pic is to the east.

Thanks.

Comments (13)

Sponsored