SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellion_gw

Tough tall natives

kellion
15 years ago

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. I'm looking for some native perennials to plant along a chainlink fence. The other side of the fence is a wooded public park, and this section of the park is overgrown with tall weeds and wildflowers and at least one nasty invasive perennial: Japanese knotweed. I'd like to find some tall natives that might be able to hold their own, and may even have the wherewithal to jump the fence to fight out the knotweed.

The soil is heavy clay with full sun exposure, and the fence currently becomes obscured by wild impatiens (jewelweed) by the middle of the summer, to give you an idea what kind of plant thrives there. However, the jewelweed does tend to droop during really hot days and dry spells, and I'd like something showier, especially gold and purple.

I'm have planted or am considering -- rudbeckia fulgida, echinacea purpurea, physostegia virginiana, helianthus microcephalus, liatris spicata. I was thinking of eupatorium and asceplias, but I don't think they are very pretty. I wouldn't mind a plant that is considered a nuisance in other situations. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County