SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
milt0n_gw

Identify: woody shrub w/ white hanging flowers

Milt0n
12 years ago

Hi, everyone!

I live near woodland in southern Pennsylvania and often have walked through the woods in search of interesting plants, specifically flowering ones.

In this forest is the remains of what was once a house, and by the remains of the house I found a small, woody plant that looked like it might have grown from the roots of a cultivated flowering bush planted by the house decades ago (probably about 80 years back.) There are still forsythia growing by the foundations, so it is definitely a possibility.

In the Spring, this plant grew little white, whirled, flowers which hang down in clusters that are perhaps 6 inches long. There are maybe 12 flowers per cluster, evenly distributed. The flowers themselves are only a quarter of an inch in diameter and are shaped somewhat like roses (though flattened). The flowers do NOT look like bells.

I think this plant would be bushier if it were healthier, but it seems somewhat unhealthy as it has sparse leaves and has not produced more than a single cluster of flowers the last few years. It is about 4.5 feet tall and the stalks are about half an inch thick. Multiple stems grow from the same roots. Also, it is evergreen.

The shrub is in a grassy clearing in the forest (deciduous) and blooms in late April. However, lately, only a single cluster of flowers has grown and I am afraid it might be dying.

From the flowers' delicate appearance, it seems like a vintage variety of shrub, probably worth rescuing if possible.

Does this description sound like anything familiar to any of you? I've searched for years but cannot find a picture of anything similar. I think I might have spotted a healthier one at the end of a gravel lane about 2 miles away, but have not checked to see if its flowers are the same.

Sorry, I don't have a picture. I haven't gone to see it recently, and it hasn't bloomed very much either.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored