SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoyess

newbie back with list and questions

hoyess
16 years ago

OK, I've researched some more based on the great suggestions I received earlier about what to do about native and non-native plantings in our back yard and back bush. I've come up with a short list of trees and shrubs that I'm thinking of adding next spring. I'd be interested in any experience you have with any of these

Asminia triloba - pawpaw tree

carpinus caroliniana

cornus florida (I have cornus alternifolia and several conrus sericea already)

Juniperus virginiana (to replace the thuja cedars the deer keep eating, will they leave these ones alone?)

Magnolia acuminata - cucumber tree

Nyssa sylvatica

Sassafrax albidum (not sure on this one for two reasons -- I read they are affected by japanese beetle? we have a problem with that where I am. Also I heard they are like black walnut, can't grow anything under it? I will only have one so not likely any fruit so does it matter?)

Shrubs:

cephalanthus occidentalis -- buttonbush

ilex verticillata - winterberry

kalmia latifolia (one resource says native the other say grows natural in Ontario because of plantings in the past???)

Lindera benzoin - spicebush

Sambucus racemosa - red elderberry

symphoricarpos albus - snowberry

Groundcover I'm thinking of adding (and I think are native)

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi - bearberry

Cornus canadensis - buchberry

Gaultheria procumbens - wintergreen

Does anyone have a recommendation for some nice vines as well that are NOT invasive. I already have problems with grapevine and we do have Virginia Creeper although I can keep that one under control. Is Clematis virginiana too aggressive? What about deer? My other clematis in the garden I have planted in a metal ornamental box or structures so they cannot eat clear to the ground.

Thanks again

Sharon

Comments (6)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional