Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help ID a seed

Posted by NancyPlants 5bKansas (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 4:45

I recently received a packet of 'wildflower' seeds from a swap. I dont know who contributed the seed so I cant ask them to ID it. There were a variety of seeds including:
**One seed looked a bit like a small acorn without its 'cap'. Dull grey/brown
**The seed that really has me interested is:
over an inch long and over half an inch wide,
flat, thin oblong,
milky white,
smooth with a fuzzy grey edge

I'm very intrigued by what this might be.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help ID a seed

This is my first attempt to post a photo...hope it works.
These are the 2 seeds I'm referring to:

Thanks for your help.

unidentified 'wildflower' seeds 2011

o

I took this seed to the local lawn and garden show. It was shown to anyone and everyone and not a single person could identify it. Lots of interest in it but no answers. Its an awesome looking seed, bet it will grow something nifty.
Anyone here have an answer ??

o

Since you first posted your picture on "Name that Plant," the white one has struck me as a squash seed. There are ones that do have an "edge" to them. (See link.) But I really wasn't sure. You can compare and see what you think.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Edge Squash Seeds

o

Nancy - I've been watching this thread because I was curious to see what kind of seed it was. FataMorgana may be right or at least very close. Hope you have room to plant it and see what happens. Be sure to harvest seeds so you can trade them.
The forum below might be able to confirm the id.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb - Pumpkins Gourds and Squash Forum (Gardenweb)

o

Thanks FataMorgana. Thats the closest picture to the seed I have. When looking at the pictures, the silver edge appears shiny to me. Is that how it looks to you? On the seed I have, the edge is fuzy. Not sure if I'm just not seeing the photo correctly.
I was very excited to at least see a seed that looked very simular. This has become a curiosity to me. I do plan to grow it and see what we'll get. And yes Christy, I'll collect seeds and will be glad to share :)
If it is the silver edge squash, the seeds are apparently wonderful as well as the flesh.
Keeping my fingers crossed. Will update as I have more info.
Thanks for your help :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here