SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stoloniferous

Vines and Evergreens that Tolerate Shade in MA?

stoloniferous
16 years ago

IÂve been going a little crazy for want of Spring these past weeks, so yesterday I started messing around with sticks in my wild backyard. I picked some open, bare spots and built up sizable brush piles to give the wildlife some shelter, and give myself something of interest to look at while the plants are dormant. But I also got to thinking about a brush pile from my childhood that was overrun with a blackberry vine. And that made me think  what sort of native vines could I encourage to grow on a heap of sticks in a shady area?

I know Virginia Creeper is an option, because it already grows on the spot, and with any luck itÂll like the pile. Poison ivy would love it  ha ha  but with any luck I've killed it off in the areas I chose for my stick-piles. But what else is a possibility? Would trumpet vines tolerate shade? I should (hopefully) have some of those coming up from seed in the Spring elsewhere in the yard.

The ground in this area stays fairly moist and grows a scattering of such other plants as jewel-weed, jack-in-the-pulpit, and assorted as-yet-unidentified ferns.

Eventually I would like to grow a few evergreen shrubs where these piles are, and I would love recommendations for those as well!

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored