Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nettles

Posted by simplegreenguy none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 19, 11 at 7:23

Hello I am looking for a source of stinging nettle roots or rhyzomes. I would like to add them to our edible wild plant garden. Any info would be great!!! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nettles

Urtica dioica or stinging nettle is not native to North America. You'd be best to direct queries about that one to the Herbs forum but since I'm one of the regulars there, I'll answer here.

You can find stinging nettle seed at most vendors that sell medicinal herb seed. Plants only at the few that specialize in herb plants. Try Horizon Herbs or Richters for plants.

Of note, stinging nettle is not a friendly plant. It will "bite." Do not plant it any place you want to walk near or weed near. And most people on this forum would consider stinging nettle an invasive, alien species and would not encourage its planting. I would suggest looking to see if there are others in your nearby area looking to get rid of nettle before buying and planting any yourself. I've gotten HEAPS of nettle that way.

FataMorgana

o

The subspecies gracilis is native to North America. Some older references call it U. gracilis or U. procera or otherwise consider it a variety of U. dioica. The native subspecies tends to be more slender with subcordate or rounded leaf bases, and fewer stinging hairs. The European subspecies has leaves that are deeply cordate at the base.

Not something I would consider invasive since nettles prefer disturbed waste ground that is high in nitrogen, although it is widely regarded as a weed. Some other places to look for it is along trails, on floodplains, and where old fields border woods.

o

Thanks for the nice response. After reading more about them Im not sure I want them in my yard . I will look in my area so I can just harvest some leaves.

o

An alternative to Stinging Nettle and an edible plant itself belonging to the same family, is Boehmeria cylindrica, or False Nettle. It does not have the stinging hairs, and is also a host plant for the Red Admiral butterfly.

Susan

o

I read in "Mother Earth" that gardeners use Stinging Nettles to add nitrogen into their soil. Thus said to give high leavels. Used in composting I'm guessing, for they do give a nasty welp.

o

Hi I need fresh nettles. Anyone has them?

o

Wood nettle-Laportea canadensis-is also a native version. And as some have pointed out, stinging nettle is indeed a native plant and is a required element in the landscape for some butterfly species.

Having said all that, there's nothing quite like an arm or a leg full of nettle stings on a hot, humid day. Place with care!

+oM

o

I keep a patch of nettles for the butterflies. But it isn't in a spot I weed for any reason, so I don't get into it. It hasn't increased much in size for the past dozen years or so, so I woudn't call it invasive. It's the native variety.

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here