Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
native red monarda (didyma)

Posted by reddirt z5 OHIO (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 2, 07 at 11:28

does anyone know where to get seeds for this monarda? i've looked all over the internet and can't find seeds of purely the red variety, and not a cultivar, just the original. i thought this plant was native to ohio and that it would be easy to find. any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: native red monarda (didyma)

New England Wildflower Society

Here is a link that might be useful: NEWFS

o

The New England Wild Flower Society sells straight red mondarda. You have to join the organization to buy seeds from them, but they are a good cause.

Here is a link that might be useful: New England Wild Flower Society seeds

o

Actually, you don't have to join NEWFS to buy, but there are advantages to doing so, and you've got to move quickly, sales close in mid-March.

I've grown the species from seed and not found it a wonderful plant. A little limp; actually, a lot limp. From the pictures I've seen, the cultivars are taller with bigger flowers and stand up straighter. But mine may not get quite enough sun (or maybe moisture as well) where I have it and may suffer from that. Note to self: Put it on the list -- time for a monarda move!

o

They grow wonderfully in the NC mts. in seeps where there is a patch of sun. I have tried some in drier sites, and they did not do well. I plan to collect seeds next year if the plants are still in the place for which I have permission. There WAS a big stand of them where someone built a house AND channeled the spring away from them. In two years they were all gone. So, apparently they do need more water than other monardas. Oh, same for the Gray's lily that was nearby. What a shame as it is a plant that is threatened or endangered in most areas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here