Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White pine seedlings: how to fix missing terminal buds

Posted by yewyew SW OH (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 4, 12 at 14:23

I planted 26 white pine seedlings and discovered that about half have had their terminal buds browsed by deer. The trees are two years old (maybe they are no longer called seedlings at this point?).

Is there a suggested way to best salvage these trees?

I'm thinking something like choosing a healthy-looking side branch and splint it vertically. But I've never done this before and wondered if there was a "proper" way to do it.

Or perhaps a better alternative?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White pine seedlings: how to fix missing terminal buds

conifers will never grow as well once they've beem topped. however, not all is lost. wait for the plant to send out auxillary shoots near the top, select the best one and remove the rest. let the one you select take over as terminal.

o

The auxiliary shoots to which you refer - are those that would (normally) eventually become side branches?

And considering the trees were topped in November or December, when should I look for the auxiliary shoots?

Thanks, kk1515

o

Yewyew, white pines and many conifers will readily form new terminal leaders on their own. Usually, no splinting or even selection is necessary. These trees have long been programed to have such damage occur, and have developed ways to offset the damage.

In the event that on one or more of the trees, multiple leaders do emerge and one doesn't seem to be taking the top spot, then yes, a little judicious pruning of the other shoots may be called for. But that's for down the road. Right now, there's nothing for you to do except wait for the trees to fix themselves. And keep the deer away!

+oM

o

Yewyew, white pines and many conifers will readily form new terminal leaders on their own. Usually, no splinting or even selection is necessary.
That has been my experience too.

What I have read about doing to protect young trees from deer, is to loosely wrap some wire, like electric fencing wire, around the trunk, leaving the ends sticking up above the tip of the tree. If a deer tries to chomp off the terminal bud, it will come down on the end of the wire and thus, will hopefully just move onto something else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here