Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting bareroot wildflowers indoors

Posted by CaraRose 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 15:43

Hi all,

I would like to start bareroot wildflowers (trout lilies, Virginia bluebells, jack-in-the-pulpet, and hepatica) indoors this year under lightsand move the plants out in the spring. Is this viable? Will they need stratification?

I'm hoping to grow them in cowpots for easy transplantation later. I'm just not sure if it's viable or not.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting bareroot wildflowers indoors

The bluebells might work but the others usually exibit double dormancy. That basically means they need a cold period for the root to start growing, then a growing season, and then another cold period to break the dormancy of the shoot. Of those I have only grown jack in the pulpit from seed and was able to get the shoot to grow after one cold period by applying gibberellic acid but that did not work for Trillium or Maianthemum. Might be better off planting the seeds directly outside and waiting.

o

Hi,

Not sure what a cowpot is but my experience w/bareroot is that the plants are usually mature specimens, not seedlings, so it's not as if they would gain extra "growing" time. I think putting them in the ground before their shoots pop up gives their roots a bit time to settle in. What do you hope to gain by starting the bareroots inside? Seems that it would cause the plants more stress to move them when they've already emerged for the Spring season.

o

Cowpots are a peat-pot like plantable pot, they're just made from processed cow waste. You can plant the pot and not disturb the roots.

I'd like to have physical plants to help me figure out where I'm putting things. Also, since I got these bareroots now, when I can't plant them, I'm not sure if they're going to be happy if I plant them in the spring rather than in the fall when they can overwinter.

Do you think I could mimic stratification by refrigerating them, or is the whole idea a lost cause?

o

For some reason I thought you were starting them from seed. If you have plants you'll want to keep them cold until you plant them in the spring. Optimally they should have been planted out in the fall. Put them in the fridge until the ground has thawed outside and then plant them out. Might only need to wait a few weeks to do that.

o

direct seeding into beds will work best for this. by a long shot. good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here