Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for native plant book

Posted by birdboyhg PA 6b (birdboyhg@aol.com) on
Thu, Feb 7, 08 at 16:43

Hello all Im looking for a book that is out of press. It is called "North American Native Terrestrial Orchids; Propagation and Production" I have been asking for cypripedium seeds for my reintroduction project and I emailed theSteels of Spangle Creek Labs and they recommended trying to find this book. Anyone who has an unwanted copy, id be willing to trade plants or cash for it,or knows where to purchase one, please let me know. Thank you. Brandan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for native plant book

This book is very hard to find. It is a conference proceedings of the 1996 conference by "The North American Native Terrestrial Orchid Conference". I believe this organization no longer exists.

No one I know would be willing to part with their copy. Your best bet might be to try to get it through a library. The Amazon link below has the title and ISBN info.

This link has a lot of Cypripedium information:
http://ex-epsilon.slu.se/archive/00001453/01/Cypripedium,_R%C3%A4nnb%C3%A4ck_070126.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: ISBN info

o

The Brandywine River Museum, Chadds Ford, PA lists the book for sale. The info for ordering is on the link below.
Good luck!
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Brandywine River Museum

o

The Brandywine book is not the same book. It is a 1989 publication of a different conference. It's unlikely that Bill Steele is talking about the book offered by Brandywine. That doesn't mean that the Brandywine offering isn't worth having; but the book most often referred to in native orchid circles is the 1996 conference.

o

The book of the 96 proceedings also includes a CD, which I don't believe the earlier version had.
The Penn Hort Society(PHS) has a copy at their Phila Library, but I believe membership is required to check out their books. At one time, they extended library privileges to some plant society members, you might check.
Your local library may be able to request a loan of the Penn State Paterno Library copy or if you are near the campus, a vist could be productive.
Cheers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here