Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native Evergreen Groundcover for under pines

Posted by edlincoln 6A (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 17:44

I was thinking of planting either bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) or American Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens) in the mulched/improved area underneath some pines. The area is shaded, but not densely so. A thin coating of good soil over dense clay or pure sand. One of the possible locations gets a lot of wind and occasionally salt.

Which of these plants would work better? Any other suggestions as to native ground covers that are evergreen or have berries? (I define native broadly...anything from Zone 6 of the East Coast of the United States would do.) Has to be low maintenance as it would get little aftercare.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native Evergreen Groundcover for under pines

Wintergreen would do better in the shade, though it is a slow grower. Bearberry likes sun I believe. You might also try partridgeberry. One that I've considered but haven't tried is Pachysandra procumbens. Locating a source might take some searching. For wind and salt tolerance the low growing juniper (Juniperus horizontalis) would be a good choice provided it gets enough sun. It's requirements are similar to bearberry.

o
RE: Native Evergreen Groundcover for under pines

Ed, another one you might try to work with is Cornus canadensis-bunchberry. If you're not familiar with this one, don't let the Cornus part fool you-this is a very low-growing groundcover type of dogwood, and quite beautiful to boot.

I'm not 100% sure of its being evergreen. I've seen this thing all my life but for whatever reason, that aspect escapes me. I suppose it's generally covered with snow in these parts-to say the very least this year!

Has nice bright red fruit as well.

Another one I thought of is Lycopodium-"ground pine". There are a number of species of this grouping of club mosses. Evergreen but non-fruiting of course, being a non-flowering plant. Nice to look at but I'm not sure of availability.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here