Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How early can you plant woodland flowers in zone 6?

Posted by hchristie 6 CT (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 07 at 1:19

Hi,

I would like to plant some native woodland plants, such as lady slippers, and bluebells, can I plant now in March as long as the ground is not frozen? Does it matter what state they are purchase from?

Thanks for any input!

Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How early can you plant woodland flowers in zone 6?

Should be able to plant as soon as soil can be worked, but it will depend on the nature of the plants you buy. If they are still dormant roots, go ahead and plant; if they are plants that have been growing in a greenhouse then you may need to wait until it is warmer. Check with the vendor.

Plants native to and grown close to your home have a better chance of surviving in your garden. Ladyslippers and bluebells are threatened species in some areas and some unethical vendors collect them from the wild. Please do not buy them from vendors who cannot certify that their plants are laboratory cultured and nursery propagated. The term "nursery grown" can mean that they collected from the wild, then grew them for a while in the nursery.

See below for a link to the New England Wildflower Society FAQ about ladyslippers, they sell ethical plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady Slippers

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 6, 07 at 15:15

I have found that slippers have done their best for me when planted/transplanted in fall after having gone dormant.

o

I agree with above .. the bluebells (Va.?) are actually rather invasive never heard they were threatened.
The Lady's Slipper however will not do well at all most likely unless they have the EXACT conditions they were growing in. They need a certain fugi in the soil to perform well for any length of time.

o

Mertensia is threatened in Michigan and New York.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Bluebells

o

That is interesting....never would know it by looking at my garden...they are all over the place. LOL

o

Different plants can be listed as invasive, native, and threatened all at the same time, depending on where the plants are located. If the plant was never in an area it could be considered invasive and non-native. If the natural area the plant had been originally only have a few left the plant would be considered threatened in that area. If a plant is only found on the east coast it would be considered a native there but non-native on the west coast. Listings need to be taken with a large grain of salt as the old saying goes. Always do additional research and be aware that what was true when the listing was originally posted may not be true 6 months from now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here