Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what plant was she talking about?

Posted by treelover z8b SoCtrlTX (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 07 at 8:33

I was walking in the woods the other day with an herbalist who pointed out some small yellow flowers (maybe 1" across) growing about 6" high, that she referred to as amaryllis. They didn't look anything like the garden amaryllis that I'm familiar with. She asked if I had any and when I told her that my amaryllis were a lot bigger she looked at me like I was crazy. I wasn't able to get close enough to these wild plants to see if they had the same form.

I've done a Google search on 'amaryllis' and haven't turned up anything that looked like them. Any idea what they might have been?

Tia!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what plant was she talking about?

I believe she was referring to the plant as a member of the Amaryllis Family (Amaryllidaceae), which includes about 14 Genera, including the common Daffodil & Jonquil (Narcissus).
Other common yellow-flowered members of the Family are Zephyranthes citrina, Sternbergia lutea, Lycoris aurea, and Nerine humilis, but most are fall flowering and none of these are native to Texas.
Another possibility could be Habranthus tubispathus, a/k/a Habranthus texanus, which usually prefers wetlands, but can be found in upland habitats.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants Profile - Habranthus tubispathus (texanus)

o
RE: what plant was she talking about?

Must have been the Habranthus, then, since it was mid March and right in the center of Texas. They were at the side of a creek, too. Wish I'd gotten close enough to get a good look.

Thank you for the information. -- Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here