SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mysapphires

2 questions - Broom Sedge and Callery Pear

mysapphires
17 years ago

OK, I posted below for newbie advice on my new property, and got plenty to think about - Thanks!

Today's question is. . .

I am 99% sure of 2 plant id's for my new property that is abandoned farmland. Broom Sedge (andropogon virginicus) and Callery Pear.

We'll start with the (maybe) good news. . .)I'm pretty sure the Broom Sedge - I looked at 100's of pics of grasses last night, and this is the only one that comes close. The descriptions I have found about how and where it spreads seem to fit too.

It's pretty thick on the property- like an acre's worth. Mostly on the higher ground of the property, and towards the back.

I am a bit confused, though, because it is being sold at native nurserys in my area, however, a lot of the information I find online about it suggests that it should be eradicated.

I know the old joke that a weed is just a wildflower growing in the wrong place, and alot of the pro-eradication information is from Hawaii (where it is listed as invasive) and sites that talk about pasture land (and I am to understand that it has low nutritional value for livestock).

Does anyone know anything about this? Should I keep or eradicate? I'm in the mid-atlantic region, BTW.

DH wants to keep a "back meadow" of this grass, as a place holder, until we can move on to other things. He also wants to dig out some of the nicer looking clumps and move them to line the driveway. . . We had envisioned a native grass garden there, and he's positively giddy that we got this for free, lol.

I figured I asked here before I start encouraging something that may be a big no-no for my area. . .

2nd ID - Callery Pear.

Believe me, I have no love for these things. Actually, I have a bit of a hate for them. There must be like 20 of them out there. My first thought was to utterly destroy them.

DH, however, disagrees. He feels that we may target them for *eventual* removal, but he wasts to cull out the weaker ones and encourage the stronger ones for shade and playspace for our kids. His point is that he understands that they are invasive, but they are pretty far along at this point, (like the circumference of my wrist and 8-10ish feet tall) and if we rip them out, we'll have to start from scratch with trees, when we get around to it.

Oh, he's also arguing that they still sell them in nurserys, and we can see that several of our neighbors have them planted, so in the greater scheme of things, ours are not making too big of a negative impact on the neighborhood.

I hate to admit that he may be right. We've found a few more trees growing there, which I still have to ID, but the calleries seem to be in a little circle in a back corner that might leaf out nicely into a good playspace until we can get more things growing.

*sigh* I can't believe I am actually asking for "permission" to keep these things alive on a *native* plant forum, but does anyone understand where I'm coming from? It's going to take *years* to turn this property around. . . Is it so wrong to want a little instant gratification?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!