SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoyess

help with next layer

hoyess
16 years ago

Last year I created the canopy layer of a couple of new woodland gardens -- one in an area cleared of raspberry cane and grapevine, one a large lawn area. This winter I'm working on planning the shrub and perennial layer. I've read many posts here, posted a couple questions myself & read many books but quite frankly am a little overwhelmed (tree part seemed easy!). I recently updated my website with pics of these gardens and a plant list. Could you give me some ideas from your experience on what my "floor" should look like. How crowded should the shrubs be or should I stick more to perennials. I'd like to use natives where I can but will not likely stick 100% to natives although I am planning on adding about 5-6 more trees native to the Carolinian forest this spring. I can come up with a list of plants to use just can't quite get a feel for the right mix for some reason (perhaps because my garden approach has habitually be plant, experiment and move and I am much more experienced with sunny gardens.)

The page lists all my garden pages, you can scroll toward the bottom to see what my woodland garden pages are. Thanks for the help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodland garden links

Comments (4)

Sponsored