Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where would you get Lespedeza capitata?

Posted by edlincoln 6A (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 11:00

I *LIKE* clovers, but most readily available ones are non-native. I recently read something that recommended Lespedeza capitata, "roundhead bushclover" for Cape Cod. Any idea where I could buy these plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where would you get Lespedeza capitata?

You can't buy them because they are a native plant. There is a conspiracy against native plants. Besides it would be more fun to collect seeds yourself.

Look for a disturbed area in an oak-pine forest. There should be lots of sunlight, dry soil, and perhaps sassafras trees nearby. Round-headed bush-clover should be easy to find.

I have also seen them growing on piles of dirt next to a construction site. In Concord, New Hampshire.

o

I don't know that it's even a clover, is it? I find it growing near here and collected seed. But find it in the 'impossible' realm of seed germination. .

o

Shooting Star Nursery lists it in their catalog.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here