Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maple Identification Website?

Posted by stoloniferous 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 08 at 11:25

Can anybody point me to a website with photographs of different types of maples? I would like to identify the maple that is growing in my front yard. Alas, I suspect it isnt native. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maple Identification Website?

No website is coming to mind but Norway Maple tends to have big leaves and a white (Elmer's Glue-like) sap in the leaf stems.

o

Not sure if this will help, but see what you think. It at least gives you the scientific names of many of them, especially the native ones. Once it leafs out, you can always scan a leaf and post it on the Name that Plant forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maples at USDA

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess this tree will be easier to identify in a few weeks when the sap is really flowing and the leaves are out.

Does Norway Maple come in a variety with dark purple-ish leaves?

o

Yes, that is the Norway maple cultivar 'Crimson King'.

o

Ugh. Well, at least it's not a big tree yet. And if we take it out, that'll mean room for the fruit trees we want. . . Thanks Esh.

o

Another great tree ID site is this :

Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: a dichotomous tree key

o

Thanks Greenhaven! Woot!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here