Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rudbeckia, Wild blue indigo & Firepink

Posted by plsgrow 7A TN (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 6, 06 at 11:52

March 6th and I just unearthed several paper bags of seeds that I saved from last summer. They were stored in a dry place indoors under climate controlled conditions. I really love Fire Pink (silene virginica), but worry that they should have had a cold period before I attempt to start them. Can someone/s please advise me it they need to be chilled or stratified?
Same question for black eyed susan seed(rudbekia) and
Wild blue indigo seed (Baptisia australis)

I hope to increase my planting of all three of the above.

We have only one Wild blue indigo plant that is approx. 5 years old, and I have yet to have any success with starting the seed. DH bought two white wild indigo plants at a native nursery last spring and they were in the ground less than 3 days before the voles ate off their roots. I don't have any seed from the white and we will probably try more this year, protecting them in deeply dug holes with fine mesh chicken wire cages around them.

Would appreciate any input on the proper treatment of these seeds. Thank You!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rudbeckia, Wild blue indigo & Firepink

I just planted Silene regia, which needs stratification. Rudbeckia could probably go either way. Baptisia I've always had trouble with - maybe nicking it would help?

o

All need cold, moist stratification, but Rudbeckia might germinate without. Sixty days is usually long enough so if you plant them now in seedling pots and put in the fridge, you can take them out in early May and they should be up by June.

Baptisa seeds should be gently rubbed with sandpaper before sowing.

o

What if these seed pods were outside all winter. I discovered one seed pod on my baptisa that no creature ate, and didn't fall to the ground, although the pod was open. Can I plant these without putting them in the refrige. We had a cold winter.

o

I volunteer in a garden in which the Baptisia self sows readily any place we have not used pre-emergent. I am trying to give the seedlings to folks before someone decides to weed the area. They are from this past fall. The Silene regia I grew via winter sowing and got so many I gave containers with seedlings away. I am really hooked on that winter sowing for most of the natives...even found out that Cullina was correct in allowing the containers to remain undisturbed for more than two seasons. This year I had trilliums and three containers of Sol. seal that finally germinated. To me it is like a miracle...which is why I like native plants! Oh, Veronica, I think the stratification means AFTER the seeds are in the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here