SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoyess

My native understory list

hoyess
15 years ago

Over the past three to four years we have been creating a series of gardens and small woodlands on our property either from existing lawn area or reclaimed scrub brush. Our priorities until now have been to put in many trees and shrubs and not focus too much on the 'floor'. These areas were either mulched (in the case of the lawn to kill the grass) or I have spent a large amount of time mulching and trying to eliminate invasive weeds (especially garlic mustard). This year, I would like to really work on the perennial layer.

Another development over the past four years or so is that I have gravitated towards more and more natives. Although I still use some 'exotics' I would say I now plant about 70-80% native trees and shrubs. Having said that, I've come up with a list of native perennials I'm thinking of adding this year. As I don't have experience with many of these I'd really appreciate some feedback on the list. I'm trying to steer away from any aggressive varieties or varieties that will seed to quickly and becme hard to control as much of our woodlands still have small trees and I already spend a lot of time keeping up with the current invasives.

For areas where I already have filtered to full shade, average to moist conditions:

Anemone quinquefolia

Arisaema triphyllum

Asarum canadense

Cornus canadensis (may be difficult in my soil)

Cypripedium parviflorum

Dicentra cucullaria and canadensis

Erythronium americanum

Hepatica acutiloba

Heuchera americana

Mertensia virginica

Podophyllum peltatum

Polemonium reptans

Polygonatum pubescens

Polystichum acrostichoides

Sanguinara canadensis

Smilacina racemosa

Tiarella cordifolia

Trillium grandiflorum

Viola canadensis

Viola pubescens

Areas where trees have not really created full cover yet but will as they grow.

Aquilegia candensis

Erythronium americanum

Gernaium maculatum

Lilium philadelphicum

Penstemon digitalis

Lupinus perennis

Heuchera americana

Sisyrinchium montanum (I already have some I can use)

Viola canadensis

Viola pubescens

In these areas I already have some hostas, exotic coral bells, sweet woodruff, tiarella cultivars in the shady areas from my other gardens. I will remove these over time. Similarly in the sunnier areas I have filled some spots in with some non-natives for now.

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas. It will be quite a dollar investment so I want to make good choices.

Comments (5)

Sponsored