Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone ID this wildflower?

Posted by hoorayfororganic 6b Massachusetts (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 07 at 15:22

Was in eastern MA in a sunny area

Unfortunately I only have a picture of the flower. But it's pretty amazing. I think there were 3 flowers to a plant.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone ID this wildflower?

Well my dear that's a wild tiger lily!
the flowers ,seeds and bulbs have all been used as food. Although the bulbs have a strong, bitter, peppery flavor, they were very popular among native people.
they were generally cooked and eaten with other foods, such as venison, fish and saskatoons, as a flavoring and thickening agent for stews.
Some tribes also ate lily bulbs fresh or dried dried them for winter storage.
Usually, lily bulbs were boiled in 2 changes of water or steamed in fire pits. cooked bulbs were also dried for winter use,either singly or mashed and formed into thin cakes. The flwoers have been used in salads and are said to be delicious as well as beautiful
northern native peoples used wood lily roots to make medicinal teas that were taken to treat stomach disorders, coughs, tuberculosis, and fevers and to help women in labor deliver the afterbirth. These teas were also used as a wash for swellings, bruises, wounds and sores.
the flowers and the root tea were used in poultices for treating spider bits.

Warning: lilies are selcom plentiful, and when they are picked or mowed, all of the leaves are removed with the stalk and the plant dies. Digging, mowing and over-picking have resulted in the near extinction of this beautiful wildflower in many populated areas.

this info is found in edible & medicinal plants of the rockies.

o

damn i hope it doesn't go extinct or something. ive only seen 1 in my life. i never see these things around my woods

o

I havent' seen them around a lot either, but there is a lot of the cultivated type!

o

Don't know what people mean by "tiger lily," but I'm pretty sure what you've got there is a Wood Lily, Lilium philadelphicum. The flower was upright, not drooping, right? And not real tall? Also, I think the flower petals, separated at their bases as they are, are characteristic of this species. The spotting is variable, as a google image search will show. The picture in the link below looks a lot like yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Lily

o
RE: Can someone ID this?

Here's a Connecticut specimen that looks even a little more like yours. About 1 to 3 feet tall, right?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Lily

o

I think it was 1 foot tall, no more than that, and not bent, just straight up pretty much

o
ft tall

I think it was 1 foot tall, no more than that, and not bent, just straight up pretty much

looks like it's some kind of wood lily, i suppose!

o

In central PA Wood Lily - Lilium philadelphicum - blooms in summer. Are your photos recently taken?

o

this photo was a couple years ago during the height of summer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here